Rerun analysis

06-14-2019 05:38 AM
GD
by
New Contributor II

Hi, I'm trying to rerun an analysis on ArcGIS online in order to update (and effectively replace) the previous data.  However when I rerun the analysis I get this message:  A result layer already exists with this name. Result layers must be named uniquely

I understand I could simply change the name, but this is not my goal.  I want to replace it.

Any clues?

4 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Hi maryse trudeau,

We have an enhancement logged internally (marked as In Product Plan), which is titled: "Allow users the option to overwrite Analysis outputs using the same name of an already existing layer if they are owned by the same user". 

Currently, you will be prompted with this error message when trying to create a layer with the same name as an already existing layer. I understand that you'd like to replace the existing layer with the new analysis layer, but currently you're unable to overwrite that already existing layer.

Should you wish to keep the same name, I would recommend deleting the already existing analysis layer and then rerun the analysis and give it the same name. This should allow you to create the new analysis layer without having to give it an alternate name!

Please reach out if you have any additional questions!

Joe

GD
by
New Contributor II

Thank you!

If I delete the first analysis in order run it again with the same name, will my URL references be kept intact?  I'm assuming not. I want to be able to overwrite the data which is being used as a source in another report.

Faris_RassoulliRizal_Wong
New Contributor II

This is exactly what I want to do also. Replace the the old analysis results layer with the result form the latest run while keeping URL references intact. I don't want to be reconfiguring/recreating tons of other reports/maps/web apps etc that rely on the results of the analysis.

Faris_RassoulliRizal_Wong
New Contributor II

It's been more than a year. Any news regarding this enhancement? At least in ArcGIS Online, the problem still exists (ie. target result layer name of a analysis tool rerun can't be of an existing layer).