Registering ArcGIS Online hosted Feature Layer

03-19-2021 03:00 PM
timbkennedy
New Contributor III

Is it possible to register ArcGIS Online hosted Feature Layers (as opposed to an ArcGIS Server service) with stored credentials in another ArcGIS Online organization? I have been getting a permissions error when trying to do so and want to clarify whether it's possible or not.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unless shared with everyone, registering the hosted feature layer of one organization in another might not be possible.

However, there is a workaround.

1. Create a group in target organization, and add the desired member from source organization. Search for the username that you want to add (Turn off "Only Search in <Your Organization Name>" option). Add the member.

2. The source organization member need to accept the invite. And then share the required content with the group.

3. The target organization member should be able to view and add the hosted feature layer to his Web Map.

*I tested this scenario between my Personal Use License AGOL account and our organization's AGOL account. Both are admin.

Think Location
timbkennedy
New Contributor III

Thanks for reply @JayantaPoddar - yes that's how we're currently doing it.

What I'm trying to do is make the content searchable within the 'guest' organization meaning an associated item must be created that references the underlying dataset.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes! You just need the service URL.

For example, here's a service layer from my Enterprise: https://maps.co.kendall.il.us/server/rest/services/Hosted/Old_ROW_Takings/FeatureServer

If you go to open it, you'll see it's not shared publicly. But when I go to add it to my AGOL (or in any organization, even another Portal) using the From the Web option, I'll see this:

jcarlson_0-1616200670729.png

Saving the username and password with the item prevents any further need to provide authentication to use the service. Unless the user's password changes, that is.

You can find out more about this option here. There may be cases where you'd want a secured service added elsewhere with saved credentials. Though I do think that @JayantaPoddar is right in suggesting a collaboration to accomplish this.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
timbkennedy
New Contributor III

Thanks for reply @jcarlson - yes this workflow is perfect for ArcGIS Server services and I have used it many times. However it doesn't appear to work with layers hosted in ArcGIS Online, i.e. proxying a hosted Feature Layer from one ArcGIS Online organization to another ArcGIS Online organization.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't see why it wouldn't. Here's the inverse, me adding a secure service from AGOL to Portal. Just go to the item's details and grab its URL.

jcarlson_1-1616204179973.png

https://services6.arcgis.com/U1zX3Wx8hhY7Gb30/arcgis/rest/services/Test_GDB_1/FeatureServer

jcarlson_0-1616204139222.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
timbkennedy
New Contributor III

I understand - it works for me that way too. That’s why I’m surprised it doesn’t work in a pure ArcGIS Online world.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

So if you tried adding the URL I listed above (the services6 one) to AGOL, it behaves differently? That's very odd...

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
timbkennedy
New Contributor III

It behaves the same, i.e. prompts for username/password but then gives an error message after the username/password is entered. It works in the organization where the Feature Later is hosted, just not in any other organization.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Even if the user/pass comes from the originating org? I want to test this. I'll send you a PM with some throwaway credentials.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS