Refresh Time Extent of Layer on New Data

04-25-2018 12:57 PM
first_namelast_name
New Contributor

I am having an issue refreshing the time extent of a time aware feature service (published using ArcGIS Server). The feature service is continually getting new data that is time aware and thus should update the feature service's published time extent or "Max Time" to match the newest data's "Submitted Date" value. Within the feature service's properties it lists that the layer is "Time Aware", has "Live Data", and describes the time extent (see attached for details on feature service's time proprieties from rest endpoint).

You can also see the properties of the featureclass layer in ArcMap prior to publishing in the attached images.

This issue persists through to ArcGIS Online where I am trying to display my data. Using a web map, the data is "time enabled" so that a time slider is used. When a new feature is added the time slider's properties "End Time" (found in the Time Settings of the time slider) does not update. The only way update the "End Time" is to disable time animation on the layer and then re-enable time animation. 

I have tried many different combinations of properties both on the feature service's properties as well as on the layer in AGOL and I have not been successful in resolving this issue. I am looking for guidance on this issue or further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Where are you displaying the data? in a web map or web app? 

For live data, check out this web application that doesn't require you to update the time extent when you data updates:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/sharing-collaboration/live-data-options-with... 

-Kelly

first_namelast_name
New Contributor

Kelly,

Currently this feature service is being utilized in a Crowdsource Manager application and as such the application is being fed by the web map. The basic configuration is:

Published feature service that is time aware from ArcGIS Server -> AGOL feature layer with credentials stored in the layer -> AGOL feature layer added to web map, layer's time animation enabled -> web map used in Crowdsource Manager application.

I was doing some additional testing yesterday and I found that after a new data point is added and the service restarted, the time extent in the service properties would update, but not still not in the web map/web app. Again the time extent would only refresh in the web map/web app if I disabled time animation and then re-enabled it.

0 Kudos
first_namelast_name
New Contributor

Kelly,

I was wondering if there was any update on the above issue.

0 Kudos
JamesShute
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue.  Any update/resolution on this?

0 Kudos
ThomasNoble
Esri Contributor

Hi,

This is by design. The Time Slider properties are stored within the web map when the map is initially saved. The web map does not detect the time ranges or updated values of the contained services. To update the time properties of the service within a web map, manually update the time properties within the web map, or add the service to the web map again, and save it.

Best Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

There are two apps that dynamically update the date/time extent. Check out this blog for details about the configurable app:

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/sharing-collaboration/live-data-options-with...

Web AppBuilder Widget (time span setting):

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/create-apps/widget-time-slider.htm

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @KellyGerrow 

I am using the Time Slider widget in Web App Builder 10.8.1 and the start/end date/time is not updating, even though the data itself is.

BrittanyBurson_1-1666115124578.png

I see in the WAB documentation for the Time Slider widget that it should support this:

BrittanyBurson_0-1666115018453.png

The Configure time settings menu does show me the correct dates (give or take), but this isn't translating through to the widget:

BrittanyBurson_0-1666115406917.png

What am I doing wrong, or where can I go to fix this? Thank you

RyanBohan

The idea of a static time slider makes no sense.  It needs to be dynamic and inclusive of newly added data.  It looks like Exb has a bug and that is why it's now showing the 10/14 data

0 Kudos
BrittanyBurson

I want to scream that this is "by design"... how is this the workflow that makes the most sense?😫