Receive error "failed to save map missing value for required property: URL." when trying to save a web map on AGOL

Jump to solution
04-26-2021 03:46 PM
Labels (3)
ZackLoken
New Contributor II

Hello,

I've been working off of the same web map in AGOL for over a year and everything had been running smoothly up until about a month ago. For no apparent reason, I am suddenly unable to save any edits made to this web map. Upon trying, I receive the error: "failed to save map - missing value for required property: url."

This seems really bizzare because the web map is still accessible using the URL and all necessary data appear. However, I can no longer save the web map if changes are made. 

Has anyone encountered this before? I cannot create/save copies of the web map either. Also tried republishing the web map with all appropriate data and the error still exists. I'm out of ideas, so any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

EDIT: I've also included a screenshot of the errors that web inspector returns when I right-click on the AGOL error. Not sure if this provides any additional information that might be helpful in troubleshooting the problem. 

Thanks, 

Zack

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZackLoken
New Contributor II

Upon further investigation, it appears that the attachments within one of the web feature layers (the web feature layer referenced in the first 3 errors of the web inspector pic attached in the original post) was causing the issue. The troublesome web feature layer was a feature collection containing 3 layers and each of those 3 layers had an associated attachment table. Despite there not being any attachments included in those tables, there was something going on in the background. 

To resolve this, I deleted all orphaned replicas of the problematic web feature layer and then disabled attachments on it. Proceeded to overwrite that web feature layer (without attachments) and everything appears to be functioning properly now. 

Just figured I'd give some insight in case others encounter this in the future. 

-Zack 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ZackLoken
New Contributor II

Upon further investigation, it appears that the attachments within one of the web feature layers (the web feature layer referenced in the first 3 errors of the web inspector pic attached in the original post) was causing the issue. The troublesome web feature layer was a feature collection containing 3 layers and each of those 3 layers had an associated attachment table. Despite there not being any attachments included in those tables, there was something going on in the background. 

To resolve this, I deleted all orphaned replicas of the problematic web feature layer and then disabled attachments on it. Proceeded to overwrite that web feature layer (without attachments) and everything appears to be functioning properly now. 

Just figured I'd give some insight in case others encounter this in the future. 

-Zack 

tracyhoustonfemadhsgovHouston
New Contributor

Hi Zack. Thanks for the insight, but i'm experiencing this same error regularly. I have no attachments in any of my layers. Not sure why this keeps happening.

0 Kudos
tracyhoustonfemadhsgovHouston
New Contributor

A little sleuthing solved the mystery. The error i was getting was "Failed to save map. Missing value for required property: numThumbs".  According to ArcGIS API for JavaScript/API Reference, numThumbs refers to the time slider widget's properties. My map was time enabled, but the layer i was attempting to add and save was not time enabled. I needed to enable time for it and also make the date settings match the existing time parameters.

MichaelGaiggEsri
New Contributor III

I had the same error. The way I solved it was similar to the above suggestion. In your WebMap, go to "Map properties" (left menu), then select "Time slider options", and within the time intervals section, change the value (and back if you want). Now save should work again. Something must have messed the length of the interval or so, but saving works again.

VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you @MichaelGaiggEsri that worked perfectly for me. 

One question, what if I no longer want the time slider? Where do I get rid of this? I am not seeing it in the steps you shared. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos