"New" Map Viewer not respecting layer blending??

07-21-2021 04:29 PM
COSPNWGuy
Occasional Contributor II

Hello. I published a web map from ArcGIS Pro. One of my layers (green polygons) has layer blending enabled using a Darkening Mode of "Darkening". Things look great in Pro. The new map viewer does not display the darkening even though it shows it shows as enabled in the GUI. Please see attached screenshots of Pro verses the new Map Viewer. The map viewer appears to be darkening the edges? Advice appreciated. Is this a bug?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the pro project with me and I can take a look? You can pop the project into a group and invite russell_jsapi into it.

0 Kudos
COSPNWGuy

Hey Russel. I created a group and invited you to it. Check your invites. Their is a pro project as well as the corresponding published feature service and web map derived from it.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I was able to repro this, I'm still looking into it but it looks like the group layer blend mode "Normal" is overriding the Darken set on that layer within the group. 

0 Kudos
COSPNWGuy

Hi @RussRoberts . Any updates on this? Do you still want access to the AGO group?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Still looking into it but it looks to be like if you have the layers in the same group layer or not in the group layers it works as expected. Looking into the API side to see where the break is happening.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is as designed and I am working with the Pro team on the issue. In the API documentation blending is only done per group basis so with your map using multiple group layers each one would have its own blending config for the layers within each group. If you want to set this differently you could set the blend mode at the group layer level instead of the sub layers.

https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/latest/api-reference/esri-layers-GroupLayer.html#blendMode

"The layers in a GroupLayer are blended together in isolation from the rest of the map."

0 Kudos
COSPNWGuy

What's the purpose of this design decision to restrict layer blending only at the group level verses at the underlying layer level of the group in the map viewer? Is it a technical one? It would be better to allow more granular control of layer blending like Pro allows and not have to sacrifice grouping to achieve parity with Pro. If It is a conscious design decision but still technology possible, I would really like to hear more on the reasoning.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This was an on purpose decision and allows you to group together layers that you would like to blend and not impact all the layers in the map with no control. For instance you may want to use Destination Atop which could give a clipped out effect for your layers and only impact the layers within a set group and not all layers within the map and then use 2 other layers in a separate group for Darken blend mode.

0 Kudos
COSPNWGuy

I'm not completely following. Maybe I would need to see this visually. I don't understand why you can't have layer blending control on individual layers (not in groups) and available on individual layers within a group, and the ability to apply layer blending at a group level (which if used would override individual layer presets if in the group). It seems like with this, I think you can still achieve your use case you mention, while at the same time maximizing flexibility and not sacrificing other benefits layer grouping provides. These three scenarios is how Pro works.

0 Kudos