"Feature Layer" is connected to a Hosted Feature Layer, but is NOT a Hosted View Layer. How was this made??

Jump to solution
02-08-2023 02:55 PM
Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I have a question about a dataset that was created before I was onboarded and it's got me confused! 

Overview

Essentially there is a parent hosted feature layer (HFL). Let's call it "Food". From it, there is a hosted view layer, let's say "Fruits". However there is also another layer created from that parent layer which is a feature layer, let's say "Veggies". 

Whenever the parent HFL is updated, both the hosted view and feature layers are updated, however I have no idea how the feature layer (veggies in this example) was created. 

Screenshots

Parent HFL

The parent HFL shows up as a hosted feature layer as expected. 

Vinzafy_0-1675896284308.png

Hosted View Layer

The hosted view layer also shows up as a hosted view layer as expected. 

Vinzafy_2-1675896438246.png

It also references the parent HFL in the details pane. 

Vinzafy_1-1675896396316.png

Feature Layer

This is where I get confused! This "feature layer" is tied to the parent HFL. So when the parent gets updated, this feature layer also gets updated. However I have no idea how this was created. 

It just shows up as a "feature layer"

Vinzafy_3-1675896507944.png

All that is found on the details pane is the following:

Vinzafy_4-1675896544628.png

The only way I can tell that it's connected to the parent HFL (apart from seeing the updates) is checking the REST services directory for the item and seeing that it refers to the parent HFL.

Vinzafy_5-1675896705326.png

This isn't causing any functionality issues, but it just bothers me that I have no idea how it was created!

Question

Since this feature layer is tied to the parent hosted feature layer, but it's not a hosted view layer, how was this feature layer created?

Was it created using an old workflow that is now outdated/not available (e.g., some kind of workflow related to Collector)? 

Some other "view layer-esque" function that I'm not aware of? 

Any context/information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply @VanessaSimps!

That did point me in the right direction. I did have a feeling that the "feature layer" was created either via the visualization tab or some function in Map Viewer Classic that didn't get ported over to the new Map Viewer (like joins unless that has been added). 

I was able to re-create the feature layer as follows:

In the Visualization tab of the parent hosted feature layer (HFL), making any changes (e.g., adding filters, changing symbology, altering pop-ups, etc.) and then hitting the main "Save" button will save the default values for that HFL whenever it's added to a new map. This was something I utilize often, but does not create a new layer. 

Vinzafy_0-1675983810525.png

What does create the "feature layer" which links to the parent layer but is not a view layer, is the option available via the overflow menu (. . .) for the parent layer in question in either the visualization tab or a map viewer. 

By clicking "Save As" in the overflow menu and following the prompts, the end result is a feature layer tied to the parent layer, and is very likely the same process that was used to create the layer in the question I initially posed. 

Vinzafy_1-1675983922154.png

Vinzafy_0-1675985439749.png

Thanks again for your help Vanessa!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

I was going to say these sound like they are Esri View Layers, but if they were a view layer, it would have this: 

VanessaSimps_0-1675902097997.png

What it sounds like is that the parent layer "Food" was configured, perhaps with a filter or symbology, and then saved as a new layer, "Fruit" and then again and saved as a new layer called "Veggie".  You can do this configuration and saving of the parent layer's (in your case "Food") Visualization tab, or in a web map. We do this all the time- it is a little like how you might use .lyr file in desktop, right? You might need to show the data one way for one map and another way for another map.  

With the Esri View (mentioned at the top), you can take things a step further and control who can see what 'view' of the data or who can edit it etc. not just the symbology or filtering... 

hope that helps!

Vince_ERAC
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply @VanessaSimps!

That did point me in the right direction. I did have a feeling that the "feature layer" was created either via the visualization tab or some function in Map Viewer Classic that didn't get ported over to the new Map Viewer (like joins unless that has been added). 

I was able to re-create the feature layer as follows:

In the Visualization tab of the parent hosted feature layer (HFL), making any changes (e.g., adding filters, changing symbology, altering pop-ups, etc.) and then hitting the main "Save" button will save the default values for that HFL whenever it's added to a new map. This was something I utilize often, but does not create a new layer. 

Vinzafy_0-1675983810525.png

What does create the "feature layer" which links to the parent layer but is not a view layer, is the option available via the overflow menu (. . .) for the parent layer in question in either the visualization tab or a map viewer. 

By clicking "Save As" in the overflow menu and following the prompts, the end result is a feature layer tied to the parent layer, and is very likely the same process that was used to create the layer in the question I initially posed. 

Vinzafy_1-1675983922154.png

Vinzafy_0-1675985439749.png

Thanks again for your help Vanessa!

VanessaSimps
Occasional Contributor III

exactly! you can do that Save/Save As in the feature layer's details/visualization tab as well. 

Glad I was able to help!