Publish Tile Package as Hosted Layer Not Working!

Jump to solution
02-18-2019 10:24 PM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to publish drone flight imagery analysis rasters to AGOL.  I can upload a tile package from ArcGIS desktop 10.6.1 just fine to my AGOL account (size ~ 20 MB), but when I open the tile package content in AGOL and click Publish, nothing happens.  I am the administrator for my organization, so that is not an issue.  I have tried this with multiple rasters over the last few days, and have been unsuccessful.  However, I was able to successfully publish rasters a few months ago so I know its not on my end.  

Thanks for any help or advice.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

I worked with ESRI to find a fix.  See below for the steps to unpack tiles successfully on AGOL.  It is a giant PITA but it works.  I wish they had a simple streamlined solution.

1. Use the "Copy Raster" (Data Management) tool to make a copy of your raster in ESRI format. Make sure .tif is added to the end of the saved file.

2. Open a new mxd. 

3. Add a description to the mxd in File--> Map Document Properties

4. Save mxd 

5. Add in the copied raster and select the color symbology you want for your raster, if needed. 

6. Use the Search toolbar for "Create map tile package"

7.  In the Create map tile package tool, select the saved mxd and the level of detail you want.  

8. Once it finishes, you can go into AGOL and upload the saved .tpk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DavidSmith16
New Contributor

I too am experiencing issues with opening tile packages in AGOL. They do not fully unpack themselves. ESRI needs to fix this issue as other products like Mapbox unpack tiles in less than 30 minutes. 

DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi David,

I worked with ESRI to find a fix.  See below for the steps to unpack tiles successfully on AGOL.  It is a giant PITA but it works.  I wish they had a simple streamlined solution.

1. Use the "Copy Raster" (Data Management) tool to make a copy of your raster in ESRI format. Make sure .tif is added to the end of the saved file.

2. Open a new mxd. 

3. Add a description to the mxd in File--> Map Document Properties

4. Save mxd 

5. Add in the copied raster and select the color symbology you want for your raster, if needed. 

6. Use the Search toolbar for "Create map tile package"

7.  In the Create map tile package tool, select the saved mxd and the level of detail you want.  

8. Once it finishes, you can go into AGOL and upload the saved .tpk

0 Kudos