publicly shared maps not viewable by public

07-03-2017 03:28 PM
BethBambrick1
New Contributor

I am having problems with an publicly-facing app. I have shared the app publicly, and all supporting data publicly (web map, hosted data layers), and the app still generates the login page for non-members. Has anyone else run into this problem, and how was it solved?

10 Replies
JohnPlunkett
Esri Contributor

What is the URL you are giving to your users?

That would be a good place to start from

TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

I am having this issue as well. I have a public facing web app for Construction and Road closures that is showing up briefly and then cutting to the login screen. All of the supporting data as well as the map and app have been shared with everyone.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

If you are sharing a web map, ensure that Anonymous Access is enabled on your organization or share using a web app. Users can't access web maps from the short URL if Anonymous Access is disabled on the organization: Configure security settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

If you are running into issues with an App, check to see if any services, like routing or demographic services are present in your web app. If they are, you map need to create a service proxy to give users access to premium services. There are capabilities in Web AppBuilder and Configurable Apps to create this in the app. 

Can you share your app?

-Kelly

TiffanyRufo

Construction and Road Closure COS

This web App was created April 5th 2017 and was fully operable and accessible to the public without a login up until yesterday (7/18/17). I have changed the share settings on all of the components as well as tried switching to a copy of the same map and nothing seems to fix the issue. As far as I know routing is not enabled and there are no demographic layers on the map.

I am fairly sure that the anonymous access is enabled because this public app of mine seems to work just fine:

COS Tree Inventory

Thank you for your reply! I'm certainly stumped on this.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Tiffany,

I may have found the culprit, but can't be sure as I get asked to login each time I load the app.

Do you have a basemap widget? If so, do you use a custom basemap group that isn't shared with everyone. A call is being made to a group that responds with you don't have permissions to access this group. In the basic viewer there is no group requirement except for the basemap widget. In your app that is loading, it doesn't look like the basemaps are loading in the widget. : http://ecgisab.maps.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/community/groups/e9ab4bee4a13462b9af860d3d21e8e94?f=json 

The apps are built using different version of the basic viewer app, so there is a chance that these are handling this error with the groups differently. Can you check the sharing settings on the following group and let me know if sharing the group with the public resolves the problem? If we can confirm the issue, we can look into how to improve this for the future.

Try finding the group here and look in the settings tab for sharing settings: http://ecgisab.maps.arcgis.com/home/group.html?id=e9ab4bee4a13462b9af860d3d21e8e94

-Kelly

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

Removing the Basemap widget from the app seems to have made it visible to the public again.

0 Kudos
cpbride2020
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly...is this a solution for individual use accounts? I am building a web experience app and my client cannot view it without logging in, and he does not have a ArcGIS license. How do I make this viewable to anyone who wants to see it? the url is:    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/d18a21f5b2f1479f9a81a474514056d1/ 

0 Kudos
cpbride2020
New Contributor III

I found the problem...there was a security setting I needed to adjust (allow for anonymous login)

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo

Just an update:

I removed the basemap widget from my Construction map and it was once again visible to the public.

Just today I had another map start to do the same thing. You click the link and it flashes to the app but then redirects you to the login page even though the map and all of its components are shared with everyone.

My transit map started doing this this afternoon. I disabled the basemaps gallery and it works fine now.

0 Kudos