Select to view content in your preferred language

'Public' AGOL maps are requiring a log in, even though they are PUBLIC!

Jump to solution
05-29-2014 01:36 PM
GregoryLund1
New Contributor III
I have two classes of students creating AGOL (ArcGIS Online) maps and apps.

All are to be 'Shared' publicly, and it appears as though the students have 'shared' properly, however, when clicking on the links, a log in page pops up. (Map/Apps 'try' to load but default back to the log in page). Believe me, I checked their settings! 🙂

Some of the students' URL's require a log in (which we do NOT want). We want their awesome Maps and Apps visible to everyone.

I have found two 'semi-answers':
In a Forum discussion I read that I should enable anonymous access to our Organization, but we do NOT want to do that.
We don't want to allow anonymous access to the group.
We want the students 'Publicly' shared maps to be viewable via the public without requiring a log in.
And since some of the links work, I am inclined to think our settings are properly set for what we want.

In a different Forum discussion it suggested that perhaps the original map from which the app was based, was not public. We are looking into that, but I am 99% sure that both were public. Everything in their account is public.

Just to clarify, in the organizational settings, they are granted permission to make things public. (It is a requirement that I give them, that their work IS public).

AND... some students' work is loading fine (story maps, swipe-maps, etc). So it can't be the settings.... right?

Thanks in Advance for any assistance, and I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, I sincerely attempted a thorough search for an answer prior to posting a new forum discussion.

Regards,
Gregory Lund
University of Washington
Tags (2)
12 Replies
RichardNilsson
New Contributor II

A work around?
I had similar problems a while ago. Checked all checkboxes (for the layers in the map) for public and still no luck. Then I went to the map in question and clicked "Share" in the top menu. Took the abbreviated link (i.e http//:bit.ly/...) and that link was working! Don't know if this was just a fluke or if it works for apps...

/Richard

Edit: I was a bit quick on the trigger. I now realize that this is basically the same as already been mentioned by simo xu and Andrew Stauffer.

0 Kudos
AaronAustin
New Contributor III

Thanks for the tip. I think it could work in some situations. The glitch does seem to be associated with working under an Organizational ArcGIS Online Account. The problem for me is that I have set up a group that allows me to share all my maps in a Map Gallery so that people inside and outside of my organization have a one stop place for my maps. Working with it this way, I am not sharing or accessing the maps by way of a link.

http://utahdnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicGallery/index.html?appid=85fc79669ffc421787501a7a9185a980&...

0 Kudos
RichardNilsson
New Contributor II

I had another go at it. And with a similar "hack" I was able to show a group publicly. Create a new group, make it public. Add public maps and public apps to the group (In "My content" (guessing here, I am using a swedish version). Go back to "Groups". Click "Share" and use the abreviated bit.ly-link. It will take you to you public group.

http://bit.ly/1shemX2

It might not be very good looking, but it seems to work.

Regards,

Ricahrd

0 Kudos