Problem Publishing Hosted Tile Map Service

06-21-2012 11:26 AM
RyanMitchell2
New Contributor II
I'm trying to publish a hosted tile map service (map is a USGS DOQQ) and am getting this error in the Service Publishing Result window after it processes:

"The Service has been published successfully. The cache for the service has been enabled but the cache generation failed."

I see the service definition in my content on my trial subscription account. It's fairly small at 36M, so I should have enough credits to publish the service. Do I need to convert it to a service in AGOL? If so, how? Or am I doing something wrong in desktop?

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The size of the service definition is not an indicator of how big your tiled cache will be. It depends on how many scale levels you try to create. Do you see a message indicating the size of the cache in desktop? Do you have an item that represents the map service? If you look at the item details page of that item, there is an option to Manage Tiles. You can build tiles from here too. This will tell you how many tiles you will end up creating. If you're trying to create the full range of tiles for all scale levels, you probably don't have enough credits.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RyanMitchell2
New Contributor II
Thanks, Mike.

I'm not sure about the cache size on the service I tried to published yesterday. It showed <1M, but I hadn't actually run the Calculate Cache Size tool.

I've tried again several times today (unsuccesfully). Here's what I've done in incremental steps to try to identify the problem.

-Chose only two scale levels
-Clipped the Ortho to just the area I'm interested in (a couple of square miles). It seemed to be creating a service for the whole image, despite choosing Current Extent of the Map as the Area of Interest to Cache.
-Reprojected it into web mercator to match the default AGOL coordinate system (but it should still re-project on the fly, I think).
-Set a custom extent for the Data Layer (a warning of moderate severity showed this was a problem when analyzing the service in the Service Editor).
-set the min and max scales for the layer in the TOC to match the scales for the two chosen scale levels in the Service Editor.
-tried both jpeg and mixed tile formats
-tried building cache automatically and manually

The calculated cache size in the Service Editor is between 1M and 5M, depending on which steps I've taken.

Analyzing the the service in the Service Editor shows no errors or warnings (after some of the steps taken above).

I see the items (Type is service definition) in my list of items in my organization subscription account. When I look at the item details (by clicking on the item in the My Content List), I don't see an option to Manage Tiles.

I did get a message that the service published successfully once (without the error I referenced in previous post), but the result in my AGOL account was the same.

Am I missing something else? I set up the account and I'm the only person in my organization, so I should have admin priveleges, right?

Surely, I should be able to test publishing a tile map service of this size as part of the trial subscription.

I feel like I might have heard/read that you need to be a member of a group to publish a service. Is this a possibility?

Thanks again for any help.

-Ryan
0 Kudos
AdamInglis
Occasional Contributor II
0 Kudos
RyanMitchell2
New Contributor II
Yeah, I noticed that, too. Glad to know it's not just me.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos