Select to view content in your preferred language

Print Service and User input

Jump to solution
05-15-2018 04:55 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Don't know where to put this question.

I created an mxd and then created a print service that I put up in my ArcGIS Server.  I then created an AGOL web application and referenced this print service....This works great.

My question is can I add some sort of user input parameter to allow them to create a title for the map when they use the print service via ArcGIS online web app?  Right now I can only hard code a title in the layout before it goes to print service.

• I am using ArcGIS desktop 10.5.1
  • I added 3 Custom Text Elements and gave them names
  • I use "Export Web Map"
  • I then Use "Get Layout Templates Info"
  • In the Results tab I right click and publish "Export Web Map"
  • Making sure to "Add Result" of the Get Layouts Templates Info Result while in the Service Editor
  • The only other thing I did in the Service Editor was change the Execution Mode

When I view the "Get Layouts Templates Info" via the rest end point I can see the 3 CustomTextElements (see below image)

But when I go to print I dont see the option to add text to these Custom Text Elements in the Advanced Window. I dont see anywhere in the advanced settings to add test to these Custom Text Elements...

Anyone have any ideas why this is not working?  Or did I do something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I think I might have found the answer to this but not sure.....But regardless it is working now.

When I was getting the errors this is what I had installed.

I was running ArcDesktop 10.4.1

I was running ArcGIS Server 10.3

Since then I have upgraded ArcGIS Server and Desktop to 10.5.1 and ran through my process once again...this time it worked like a charm.  I don know if the Version difference were the cause but dont really care at this point...lol...I wasted enough time getting this to work...and it works....

So I guess the only thing I can comment on is making sure your versions are the same?????  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

I just tested a custom print service of mine in an AGOL WAB app and the print widget did display the custom elements in the advanced dialog.

I see a few things that are different in your screenshot of the Get Layout Templates Info.

1. Mine - Execution Type: esriExecutionTypeSynchronous   Yours - Execution Type: esriExecutionTypeAsynchronous
  2. You have default values and I do not (this should not be a problem though).

Do you see any errors in your browsers console?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

What kind of Element did you add to your layout?  I added a Text element (Which needs to have a caption).  Did you add some other element?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I think I got it...I was using a normal text Element not a Dynamic text element...

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

That should not make a difference. Did you give the Element Name as value on the Size and Position Tab in ArcMap?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Nothing there....hmmmmm

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I have to be doing something wrong...

If I use a text element I have to have something in the text which defaults to that and gives no option to add a user specified text.

If I use a dynamic text I still dont see it as an option in Advanced Settings....

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Can you layout your steps so I can follow....I have no idea what I am doing wrong

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Maybe these errors?

Do I need to move something over to the web server that I am running this on?

0 Kudos