Select to view content in your preferred language

Print Service and User input

Jump to solution
05-15-2018 04:55 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Don't know where to put this question.

I created an mxd and then created a print service that I put up in my ArcGIS Server.  I then created an AGOL web application and referenced this print service....This works great.

My question is can I add some sort of user input parameter to allow them to create a title for the map when they use the print service via ArcGIS online web app?  Right now I can only hard code a title in the layout before it goes to print service.

• I am using ArcGIS desktop 10.5.1
  • I added 3 Custom Text Elements and gave them names
  • I use "Export Web Map"
  • I then Use "Get Layout Templates Info"
  • In the Results tab I right click and publish "Export Web Map"
  • Making sure to "Add Result" of the Get Layouts Templates Info Result while in the Service Editor
  • The only other thing I did in the Service Editor was change the Execution Mode

When I view the "Get Layouts Templates Info" via the rest end point I can see the 3 CustomTextElements (see below image)

But when I go to print I dont see the option to add text to these Custom Text Elements in the Advanced Window. I dont see anywhere in the advanced settings to add test to these Custom Text Elements...

Anyone have any ideas why this is not working?  Or did I do something wrong?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

If I use a text element I have to have something in the text which defaults to that and gives no option to add a user specified text.

Why do you have to have something in the text as a default. I don't have anything as a default.

Steps:

1. Choose Text from Insert menu.
  2. Open the Properties page of the text element.
  3. Switch to Size and Position tab.
  4. Enter a name in Element Name.
  5. Click OK button.
  6. Repeat to add more text element as needed.
  7. Finish rest of the layout design.
0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

If I add a Text Element I have to have somethign in the box or does not allow me to add to the layout.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

OK I see now that I just added a blank space to my elements

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor
  1. So I add a text element and add a space and give it a name in the Size and POsition Tab
  2. I ran Export Web Map
  3. I ran Get Layout Templates Info
  4. I then attempt to publish the Export Web Map
  5. I get two errors that say "Data source used by Task Export and Get Layout is not registered with the server and will be copied over." 
  6. I assume this is fine if it copies over
  7. When I run the print service I dont see anything

Do I need to resister the Export Web Map and Get Layout Template Info with the server I am running this on?

I am publishing from a different server.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

So in the browser console is it still saying there was an error get the layout info?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

This is the browser I am consuming the AGOL app from 

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

Is it because of this error when I publish the service...I just figured it would copy it over as it states

1. I get two errors that say "Data source used by Task Export and Get Layout is not registered with the server and will be copied over." 
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jay,

Have you re-published the service to synchronous as I pointed out earlier?

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

yes

0 Kudos
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

0 Kudos