Pop-ups and Selection boundary - Way to remove selection boundary but keep pop-up?

Jump to solution
10-20-2015 02:24 PM
BrianDudek
Occasional Contributor

I don't believe there is, but is there a way to keep pop-ups when a user clicks on a map, but not having the boundary of selected feature highlighted?   This is in case I do not want the user to see the actual boundary of the feature, but rather just that it is in that space, and here is the name of it. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Brian,

I do not believe you can do this in a web map but you can using the Information Lookup app template.  Here is an example I have setup that will return information about polling locations depending on where you click on the map but does not show the actual boundary.  Hope this helps.

http://arcg.is/1XiBCq4 

Best,

Kyle

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

Brian,

I do not believe you can do this in a web map but you can using the Information Lookup app template.  Here is an example I have setup that will return information about polling locations depending on where you click on the map but does not show the actual boundary.  Hope this helps.

http://arcg.is/1XiBCq4 

Best,

Kyle

BrianDudek
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kyle.  That helps for my initial question and working with a polygonal layer.  Now is there anyway to get this to work in conjunction with symbolized point layer.  At the moment whatever I do, this app does not want to give me pop-up information when I click on the symbol no matter how large the symbol is.  It seems to be looking for the actual lat/long point instead of the symbol when clicked (which I suppose makes sense for this applications programming).    I guess I may be able to get this to roughly work if I go in and buffer the points, upload another layer and make that transparent.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

The functionality of that app will only work with a polygon layer, however you are on the right track with buffering your points.

BrianDudek1
New Contributor III

I wanted to come back to this to get some further direction outside of the information lookup template.  Web App Builder is where I am likely going to want to do this for in a particular service layer at some point.  Again, looking for some insight.  

I was first thinking that maybe I could do a vector cache on the polygon layer and then associate just the features for popups?  I think I heard that can be done.  Although maybe that would still show a selection, not sure.  Basically, will want the popup field attribute information to appear upon address search or upon map click like the information lookup template.  Obviously I will want these results to pop up upon the search widget's finding of an address (presuming the widget's code will need to be modified in some way? although that's another issue).  Once it does, I do not want the field attribute results showing selected boundaries.  

I suppose examining the information lookup template javascript code could maybe get me some insight, but I am big time newcomer at anything with javascript at the moment.  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Brian,

You can turn off the selection symbol for the popup in the JS API. So you would be able to modify the WAB Developer apps code base to turn off the popup selection symbol too.

KyleBalke__GISP

Brian,

I would suggest looking at the out-of-the-box District Lookup widget in Web AppBuilder...I believe this mirrors the functionality in the Information Lookup app template.

District Lookup widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

"The District Lookup widget allows you to find a point feature related to a selected polygon, view detailed information about the features, and get directions to the selected point feature.

The structure of the layers requires a relationship between a point feature and a polygon feature and must be a one-to-one geodatabase relationship."

BrianDudek1
New Contributor III

Thanks guys.  Kyle, I did look at that, but there will be no point feature per se as it will be search based, but I imagine you mean the searched geocoded returned address in that case will be the point feature. And its a matter of examining the code and modifying it to use the returned search address location as an input into the lookup functionality?

0 Kudos