Select to view content in your preferred language

polygon to point preserve attachments

Jump to solution
07-06-2017 11:14 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all,

I am trying to preserve attachments when i convert feature to point in arcgis desktop in order to have users collect in the field. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Alex

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Shantonu,

- The attachments are added via the GlobalID/rel-globalid not OBJECTID/rel-objectid. GlobalIDs were used here because I need to be collecting data via collector.

- The only common ID fields between the point FC and the attachment attribute table are these two: GlobalID/rel-globalid. I don't have any other join fields.

- Least importantly  but yet still an issue, The "Add attachments" tool requires that you provide a "Match path field" which the closest "match" field in my table would be "ATT_NAME" and this is not a  a path field.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I found a way to preserve attachments when converting from polygons to points:

1) FC poly ==> create GUID field

2) Attachment Table ==> Create GUID field

3) Calculate each GUIDs for eachtable (polygons and attachments) with the GlobalIDs(polygons) and rel-globalids(attachments) values

4) Create a new text field in the Attachment table called Path (length 100 or more)

5) Calculate the path field like this:

6) Export attachments using this tool How To: Batch export attachments from a feature class to your local machine "C:\atch" for me.

7) Use Feature To Point—Help | ArcGIS Desktop tool to convert poly to points

😎 Add GlobalIDs to the new point FC Add Global IDs—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

9) Enable Attachments to the new point FC Enabling attachments—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

10)Use theAdd Attachments—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop tool to add the pictures back

Input Join Field : GUID of your point feature class

Match join field: GUID  of your attachment table

Match Path: field that stores the path to the pics on your PC

11) Done.