Optimize Layer Drawing stuck on optimizing

02-11-2020 01:09 PM
AGMAD
by
New Contributor III

I am trying to optimize layer drawing for one layer withing a hosted feature layer, 2020 sources. It says that it will take a few minutes to complete, but it has been optimizing for approximately 4 hours. Is this normal? the layer has about 2000 polygons.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Tim Reissen‌,

Your optimise may have finished by the time you get this message but the speed that it optimises is related to the  number of polygons and the number of vertices. Are your polygons detailed with lots of vertices? If they aren't you may wish to try restarting the process.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

AGMAD
by
New Contributor III

Checked my computer again this morning, and it still says optimizing. yes there are lots of vertices, but i did not expect it to take a full day. How do I either cancel it, or restart?

0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

Late response, and you probably solved your issues by now, but what is "lots of vertices"? Thousands, millions?

If you get over 100k vertices per polygon or line geometry, things can slow down dramatically. E.g. in a custom Python scripting and generalizing workflow, I've been processing data with records of up to 1.7M vertices per polygon in a PostGIS database generalizing them. I discovered by monitoring pgAdmin, the database management software of PostgreSQL, that it could take half a day for a single record to be processed when dealing with geometries > 1-2M vertices.

I don't know if it is acceptable for your workflow, but by dicing them to 100k vertex limit, processing times were dramatically improved. E.g. for one medium long running dataset (although not containing that 1.7M monster polygon), it reduced processing times from 1h23m to just over 4-5 minutes.

Dicing may not always be acceptable, but in my case it was, and it helped solving the performance issue.

0 Kudos
jtmouw_NCDOT
New Contributor III

Did you ever find a way to cancel it? I similarly have a feature service stuck in optimizing that did not resolve itself overnight, going on 18 hours now

0 Kudos