Online Map Viewer sees layer; ArcGIS Explorer does not

01-30-2012 10:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Lynn_Carlson

Hi,

I have created a map using ArcGIS On Line and shared it to the public.  The map is using esri's gray canvas basemap, and a layer from my ArcGIS Server (10 running under Win 2008 Server).

I am able to view the map in the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer.  I am also able to open it from ArcGIS On Line via "open in ArcMap".  In ArcMap, I can also Add Data and navigate to use GIS Services, add in the URL for my server, find the layer and add it / query it. 

However, when I choose to open the map using the ArcGIS Explorer OnLine option, I only see the gray canvas basemap.  The layer being served from my own server has a broken link symbol and a message that says the layer is inaccessible.

Of greater concern is that I am also unable to see the layer in esri's iOS app (it is "on"); although I can see the gray canvas basemap, zoom, pan, etc.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can see the layer in some of the applications and not in others?

The map service is:    http://quidditch.gis.brown.edu/ArcGIS/rest/services/muniGIS/muniGIS/MapServer

Thanks for any advice
Lynn
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mikem

Your ArcGIS Server is not publicly accessible. Thus, Explorer Online and the iOS application can't access the map service you reference in your web map. ArcGIS.com map viewer can see it because the web browser (when you are at your office) is running inside your firewall and is able to resolve the URL to the map service. If you were to try and access the same map from, for example, from home, you won't see the layer.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LynnCarlson__GISP
Occasional Contributor
Thank you for this information!  Off to check with the firewall admins.
0 Kudos