No longer able to add or edit data in a hosted feature layer

10-07-2020 01:50 PM
Addie___JudeSchuenemeyer
New Contributor II

After I deleted an unused number field in a hosted feature layer I am no longer able to add or edit data in that layer. Under settings I did not change anything. Editing is still enabled. Is there a way to fix?  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Addie & Jude Schuenemeyer‌, thanks for posting this. I am unable to reproduce this issue on my end, which makes sense as this is not expected behavior. 

I think it would be best if this issue were handled through an Esri Support case - we definitely want an analyst to investigate why deleting a field put the layer into this state. Let me know and I would be happy to get one started for you. 

How many web maps use the layer? If it isn't too many, you may want to download the hosted feature layer as a file geodatabase and republish a new hosted feature layer to get back up and running with editing as soon as possible. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

DeidreWolf
Esri Contributor

Hello Addie & Jude Schuenemeyer‌ before you deleted the unused number field, what edit settings were enabled on the layer? Did you have "Keep track of created and updated features" enabled? 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

If this is the case, it's possible that you may be running into the following bug: BUG-000108922: Unable to edit a hosted feature layer. The error 'In.. - this issue is caused when a feature layer has Editing, Keep track of created and updated features, and Keep track of who created and last updated features enabled, and a field is deleted from the hosted feature layer.

The workaround is to enable sync, save the setting, then disable sync again. If you are indeed running into the above bug then this should resolve things. If it turns out you were running into this issue, just let me know and I'd be happy to add your customer number to the bug. 

I hope this helps,

-Peter  

Addie___JudeSchuenemeyer
New Contributor II

Enable sync is already checked. All four editing boxes are checked. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Addie & Jude Schuenemeyer‌, 

With this in mind, I think we should go forward with getting this into Esri Support so an analyst can take a closer look. As I mentioned above I would be happy to get a case created on your behalf. In the meantime, can you share the layer to a group and invite PeterK_ess so I can examine it from my end? 

Also, if you can open up Chrome Developer Tools (ctrl+shift+i OR F12) to the Network Tab, attempt to make an edit, and let me know the response to the ApplyEdits request? This will likely give us a lot more to go on why this layer isn't currently editable. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

Addie___JudeSchuenemeyer
New Contributor II

Peter,

Yes, thank you for starting a support case on MORP's behalf. I will invite you to a group where you can see the feature layer and maps with the layer. Here is the response to Apply Edits (note the Estimated Age filed is the field I deleted which seemed to cause the problem):

{
"addResults": [],
"updateResults": [
{
"objectId": 6,
"uniqueId": 6,
"globalId": null,
"success": false,
"error": {
"code": 1000,
"description": "Invalid column name 'ESTIMATED_AGE'."
}
}
],
"deleteResults": []
}

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing this with me; I took a quick look and do have one question - was this layer created from the Field Notes layer template in ArcGIS Online originally?

I also created a support case and an analyst will be in touch as soon as possible to continue troubleshooting this issue with you. 

-Peter

Addie___JudeSchuenemeyer
New Contributor II

Thank you for your help. I created the layer in ArcGIS Desktop. I have since learned how to use the templates on ArcGIS Online, but yes this layer was created elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Addie___JudeSchuenemeyer
New Contributor II

Yes, I had all four editing check boxes enabled.

0 Kudos