Newby AGOL question update data many layers?

Jump to solution
02-12-2021 12:51 PM
Labels (1)
KBKnight
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the AGOL world. I work for a local government and am currently trying to make a very easy-to-use map of our property parcels. I have a MASSIVE dataset of parcels with many fields. I want to create layers for a heap of the fields that are colored appropriately for the users (so a lot of custom ramps, pop-ups, etc.). 

But, here is the kicker, this dataset will probably update frequently. So, ideally, I'd like to be able to keep all of my various map layers to keep the same symbology, etc. but be able to point them at an updated dataset. 

I'm not sure if the best way to do this is to create all of these map layers in ArcGIS Pro and then try to overwrite my web layers? Create all of the layers in AGOL and then update the data sources online (not sure how to do that). 

Thank you for any advice!

Kevin Knight - Boulder, Colorado, USA

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin, I would use layer views.  The option is available on the item details page, on the right side (see screenshot below).  Whether you need multiple versions of the same layer, or just a single layer, your symbology and popups will be saved to the view, while allowing you to update the data in the original published layer.  You can then use ArcGIS Pro to overwrite a published layer and not worry your hard work just went out the window.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin, I would use layer views.  The option is available on the item details page, on the right side (see screenshot below).  Whether you need multiple versions of the same layer, or just a single layer, your symbology and popups will be saved to the view, while allowing you to update the data in the original published layer.  You can then use ArcGIS Pro to overwrite a published layer and not worry your hard work just went out the window.

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also, I would look into the ArcGIS API for Python! It is a little daunting at first but there are many, many code samples available to paste into your own python notebooks. Be careful though - with great power comes great responsibility.

0 Kudos