Named Users?

07-31-2013 08:22 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
**The Portal for ArcGIS extension software is included with
ArcGIS for Server Advanced (Enterprise or Workgroup) and is licensed and priced
based on the number of named users.

Specifically with Portal for ArcGIS deployed locally, what does the statement, "is licensed and priced based on the number of named users" mean?

Thank you,
--Adam
Tags (2)
60 Replies
AhmedSalool
New Contributor

Hi Lucas,

When creating the web map, you need to add the unsecured services then the secured one. This should solve the problem of not showing any services.

0 Kudos
ColeAndrews

Lucas-- Have you got this issue resolved? Was Ahmed's solution below correct? We are headed down this road of securing 1 of 10 services consumed in an app using windows AD group...hoping the other unsecured services will still load properly

0 Kudos
LucasMurray2
Occasional Contributor II

Cole - I submitted this problem to ESRI Support.  They were able to replicate the problem I was having and they couldn't find a solution.  I let them know about Ahmed and Derek's posts below but neither I nor ESRI support were able to get the solutions to work.  ESRI submitted this as a bug BUG-000087825, which can be seen at http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDA4NzgyNQ .  Unfortunately, the only solution they show so far is to create a separate Portal map for each set of users who will be accessing the map, which is what I've been doing.

0 Kudos
ColeAndrews

That follow up is much appreciated, thanks. I think we are running in to the same issue. Any idea if hosting the app on a web server rather than Portal changes the behavior?

0 Kudos
LucasMurray2
Occasional Contributor II

I once tested adding secured and unsecured services to a map I designed using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript and it worked perfectly.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to learn JavaScript on my own and I don't have the money to hire someone to do it.  Such is life, I guess.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Hi Derek:

Until reading this thread, I was under the impression that a named user was a named user.
I appears though that I will now need to administer AGOL accounts to any user that wants to try ArcPro and administer a separate account for our Portal usage. 

I can sort of wrap my head around this if I think Portal Name User and AGOL Named User (PNU vs. ANU)

1. Is it correct that PNU <> ANU ?

2. Is there any talk between Portal and AGOL in terms of administering Named Users?  i.e. if using a hybrid system, do I have to double administer Named Users?

3. Is defining our Named User licenses for Portal is just as murky as it is with AGOL when operating under an ELA?
   i.e. We will have to negotiate for these licenses instead of just having them assigned to us based on our ELA cost?

We now pay a pretty decent chunk of change for our ELA on a yearly basis. 
My predecessor wasn't interested in AGOL so we ended up with only 5 Named Users at our last ELA negotiations.  But when 10.3 came out, we saw our AGOL Named Users bump from 5 up to 105.
And at the same time, AGOL shows thousands of ArcGISPro licenses available to us.

After talking with our tech/sales rep (same person, good guy) I was able to establish that the 100 new licenses were released to us for use w/ ArcGIS Pro.  In other words, we can only create ANU accounts out of that 100 user pool ONLY for users who are also using Desktop products. 

These licenses  cannot be assigned to mobile field users. 

And yet, I see Portal and AGOL as, at least initially, being most useful to us for mobile users.

Good for Esri's pocket book not so good for my head and budget.

4. What happens if/when we start trying a hybrid AGOL/Portal setup?

I'm going to end up being the messenger that is killed when I go to upper management and say, hey,
   remember this really cool stuff I've been showing and talking about, well, we have to pay for it twice.

I know I am not alone when I say that it sure seems like Esri has overly complicated the entire concept of Named

Users.  Especially if your organization has an ELA. 

Thanks for listening and providing answers.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

A1. You're correct. A named user in Portal for ArcGIS is NOT the same as a named user in ArcGIS Online. Please treat these as two separate and different accounts for two separate 'portal' instances.

A2. No, there is no link between Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online in terms of administering named users. Even if you have a hybrid deployment, both 'portals' are separate systems: one is on-premises, the other is in the cloud. Yes, you would manage their respective named user accounts separately.

For your Q3 and Q4, since you mention that your organization is in an ELA, please discuss these items with your Esri account manager.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
MattWilkie2
New Contributor II

Q for A1: How are the 2 sets of named users licensed and tracked? If we have 100 ANU do we also have 100 PNU? Or do we need to negotiate Portal NU licenses separately?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Matt,

Q1) How are the 2 sets of named users licensed and tracked?

A1) The Named Users for ArcGIS Online are maintained within your ArcGIS Online organizational account. The Named Users for Portal for ArcGIS are maintained by your Portal license file that you obtain from Esri Customer Service.

Q2) If we have 100 ANU do we also have 100 PNU? Or do we need to negotiate Portal NU licenses separately?

A2) For the first question, not necessarily. As I've said, Named User accounts for ArcGIS Online are separate from Named User accounts for Portal for ArcGIS. They apply to two different 'portal' instances. Please discuss these questions with your local Esri account manager.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Paul -

You have stated the business problem very well. Many organizations are facing this dilemma. While Derek is doing a valiant job explaining the current technical status quo, the esri business model with named users is just too complicated and unnecessarily complex to explain to the non-gis section of any organization.

Currently, it appears moving to the cloud under the named user model is going to be unnecessarily more complex and challenging from a funding perspective than the previous concurrent licensing model.

I hope more esri customers provide feedback to esri - publicly or privately by UC 2015.

Thanks

Subu

0 Kudos