Named Users?

07-31-2013 08:22 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
**The Portal for ArcGIS extension software is included with
ArcGIS for Server Advanced (Enterprise or Workgroup) and is licensed and priced
based on the number of named users.

Specifically with Portal for ArcGIS deployed locally, what does the statement, "is licensed and priced based on the number of named users" mean?

Thank you,
--Adam
Tags (2)
60 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@Anthony:

We do have a matrix in the help doc that lists what you can and can't do based on your role type in Portal. It can be found here: Managing access to your portal‌ . Please look under the subsection titled: Understanding access privileges. As for a matrix that lists all the different apps as well ... good idea, we'll have to work on that.

@Kreuzrsk:

If you read the Pre-UC Q&A question that was referenced in Drew's post above, there was a note at the bottom of the answer:

"NOTE: The License Entitlement description above is for non-ELA and non-Education program ArcGIS for Server Licenses. We are still working on the License Entitlement program for ELA and Education customers."

Please contact your account manager for specific questions about your ELA license.

Hope this helps,
Derek

JonFairchild
New Contributor II

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your attention to this discussion.  A question...

The "Managing access to your portal" page you mention above uses the terms:

• Users with an ArcGIS organizational account
  • Members of the ArcGIS organization

Are these terms synonymous with "named users"?

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Jon,

Apologies for the late reply, I somehow did not get notifications on updates to this thread until recently. Your question:

Q: The "Managing access to your portal" page you mention above uses the terms:

• Users with an ArcGIS organizational account
  • Members of the ArcGIS organization

Are these terms synonymous with "named users"?

A: Yes - both these terms are referring to "named users" for either ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
ChristineLarsen
New Contributor III

Questions regarding free named users with ArcGIS Server:

Are these per license?

Ex: If we have 2 Advanced Enterprise licenses, do we get 2 x 50 free named users?

How about staging licenses?

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Hi Christine,

Questions regarding free named users with ArcGIS Server:

Are these per license?

I believe so.  (I am hoping to be corrected by an Esri employee if I am wrong!) Portal for ArcGIS‌?

Ex: If we have 2 Advanced Enterprise licenses, do we get 2 x 50 free named users?

Again, I believe so...

How about staging licenses?

I would doubt it, but you would need at least 2 or 3 I would think.

Hoping that this will bump the thread again for you...

--Adam

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Christine,

Apologies for the late reply, I somehow did not get notifications on updates to this thread until recently. Your questions:

Q1) ... regarding free named users with ArcGIS Server: Are these per license?

A1) Yes. In the case above, if you have 2 ArcGIS for Server Enterprise Advanced licenses, you will get 2 x 50 named users for use with Portal for ArcGIS.

Q2) How about staging licenses?

A2) FYI: ArcGIS for Server and Portal for ArcGIS are licensed differently. Server is licensed based on cores, while Portal is licensed based on # of named users. For Server, you would need to get a Server staging license. For Portal, it is permissible to duplicate the Named User set for the staging environment of the Portal. So you can set-up a "production" Portal and a separate "staging" Portal, as long as both Portals are using the same named users.

Hope this helps

0 Kudos
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

I'm trying to piece this together also. 

I'm hoping that someone can clear up a point for me. One of the pros with Portal is that since it can sit behind the firewall, Portal is available for everyone in an organization to search and use public items (public in the sense that's it's public for everyone in the organization) without a license, but with ArcGIS Online that feature is not possible....is that correct?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher

Matthew,

I can't explain Portal for ArcGIS‌ because I am not using it yet, but I would check before I made the assumption that it is able to be used by anyone without a login to search and use "public" items.  Is "public a choice within Portal?

If I am reading your question right...

You cannot make ArcGIS Online "public" to only people within your organization.  It would be public to the internet connected world.  IF Esri allows it, Portal installed behind your firewall could hypothetically be available to users without a login for items made "public".

Hopefully, someone from Esri can clear this up for us.  Sorry - more questions than answers.

0 Kudos
MatthewKing
Occasional Contributor II

I'm fairly certain that feature is part of the Portal since it can sit behind the firewall. I gleamed that info from this video Portal for ArcGIS: An Introduction | Esri Video  (it even drew a smattering of applause).  Here's a screenshot I grabbed:

Slide1.JPG

What I'm trying to figure out is if there is some type of security that you can use with AGOL that would allow that same feature.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

@Matthew,

"I'm hoping that someone can clear up a point for me. One of the pros with Portal is that since it can sit behind the firewall, Portal is available for everyone in an organization to search and use public items (public in the sense that's it's public for everyone in the organization) without a license, but with ArcGIS Online that feature is not possible....is that correct?"

Your assertion is correct. If you use ArcGIS Online, your items will have to be either shared with "everyone" - it which can there is open access, or if you want to restrict access then an ArcGIS Online named user account is required.

@Adam,

"I can't explain Portal for ArcGIS because I am not using it yet, but I would check before I made the assumption that it is able to be used by anyone without a login to search and use "public" items.  Is "public a choice within Portal? .. IF Esri allows it, Portal installed behind your firewall could hypothetically be available to users without a login for items made "public"."

Allow me to clarify. If you have Portal for ArcGIS configured in your organization, and you set a Portal item to be shared with "everyone", then yes - people within your organization (e.g., in your intranet network) should be able to access these items without requiring a named user login.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos