.mxd freezes when using multiple data frames

Jump to solution
10-09-2014 12:28 PM
ChristopherTrapuzzano
New Contributor II

I have 4 data frames in one layout for a map, and now it doesn't load.  Any time I try to load the .mxd the program freezes...  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherTrapuzzano
New Contributor II

With the clean install of Windows 8.1 and a new 4GB graphics card, the file now opens up.  It still takes a bit of time to load and whenever I pan around in the layout tab, it buffers for about 10 seconds....but other than that it seems to be working fine now.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SusanJones
Occasional Contributor II

Either the graphics card is well below spec and ArcGIS Server is taking a while to render, or the mxd is significant which also takes a while.

Does the mxd open up in memory using the arcpy functions?

e.g.

#todo: import Modules

import arcpy, string, os, datetime, sys, shutil

#set map document

mxdDoc = r'full path of your mxd'

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(mxdDoc)

#todo: print Something

print 'document Opened

#todo; remove traces of the mxd

del mxd

(Remember to delete the mxd at the end.)

Susan

0 Kudos
ChristopherTrapuzzano
New Contributor II

I am actually getting an upgraded graphics card today as well as a clean install of windows 8.1 whereas I am currently using 7, so I'll see if that fixes the problem.  And you'll have to excuse my ignorance as I am a relatively new user of 10.2.1, but it sounds like these arcpy functions are a bit like a command prompt way of opening the map??  I am not familiar with what you are suggesting.

0 Kudos
SusanJones

Howzit Christopher

That's correct. Reason I suggested opening the mxd in memory is to establish if the issue is with the heavy, ArcMap Desktop application, or whether it is due to the complexity in the mxd.

ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) is heavily dependant on it's host graphics card when opening the Map Document. Opening the Map Document in memory is not as dependant.

Susan

0 Kudos
ChristopherTrapuzzano
New Contributor II

With the clean install of Windows 8.1 and a new 4GB graphics card, the file now opens up.  It still takes a bit of time to load and whenever I pan around in the layout tab, it buffers for about 10 seconds....but other than that it seems to be working fine now.

SusanJones

Rendering performance is all in the Graphics Card ...

0 Kudos