Select to view content in your preferred language

Multiple App Registration in AGOL:- Taboo?

04-08-2020 08:39 AM
Kerrie-AnneMartin1
New Contributor

Hi there,

I would like to verify whether an assumption recently embraced by a few colleagues of mine is a myth or fact. This is for a organisation with more than one Administrator.   A colleague has proposed that:

Only one app should be registered in ArcGIS Online, because the client id and secret generated represents the IP address of the organisation. It was further suggested that registration of a subsequent app (whether under a different name or not) would result in the new app replacing the previous one.

Based on this logic, the registration of more than one app, has been deemed a dangerous practice even irresponsible.

This is contrary to my understanding of the purpose for app registration. I am of the opinion that one can register as many apps as desired, and that each app is differentiated based on its unique client id and secret. 

I would appreciate some feedback and possibly a reference to any literature on this topic that might assist. 

For a broader context, this issue came up, in the need for an app id and secret for use in FME Server; " an app started crashing because the token had expired. 

Some support and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Kerrie

0 Kudos
0 Replies