Select to view content in your preferred language

Moving Data

08-25-2017 06:24 AM
AdamBlough3
Emerging Contributor

I have a client that I created all their GIS on our company ArcOnline. Now that client has purchased their own subscription and organization. I am trying to figure out how to give them their layers and maps to their organization and off of ours. 

While I could just invite their users to our group and let them see the maps, ESRI, in their infinite wisdom, made Level 1 users unable to join outside groups. 

My question is;

1) How can I move data from one organization to another 

2) If I have a user, and give them ownership to all the data and then kick them out of the organization. Do they get to keep that data if they moved to another organization? (i.e. If I gave ownership to user JEFF and then kicked them out of my organization and JEFF joined another Org. Would that data now be part of that new Organization?)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hi Adam - Check out GeoJobe's Admin tools (this operation would require a Pro license in both orgs; ArcGIS Admin Tools

How to Clone Your Organization to Another with Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online - GEO Jobe 

You could also try using the ArcGIS Online Admin tools (ArcGIS Online Assistant).

-Adam Z

AdamBlough3
Emerging Contributor

I appreciate the input. I don't think I have any ArcOnline client that would be willing to pay another $500 to get Pro nor do I see the advantage of purchasing the Pro for myself. I believe there is another work around even though this is a great tool to have in the future. 

Do you see advantages in purchasing Online Pro? 

0 Kudos
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

For managing larger organizations it's a great tool. They do offer a free version which I find useful in managing an organization that is probably worth your while to get implemented.

Try the ArcGIS Online Assistant  tool. It's free to use, but the data copy is considered experimental.

Adam Z

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I haven't tried this, and I'm not sure if AGOL to AGOL collaboration is fully functional yet, but it may be worth looking into that (portal cola oration help doc About distributed collaboration—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise )  and using it with index | ArcGIS for Developers     That brings you to many samples for administrators.

I have used the API for moving for moving items between users within one org, just not sure about between orgs. There are a few videos from the dv summit and uc worth looking at re how  to use the API.