Minimalist template with multiple search layers?

Jump to solution
10-22-2018 11:33 AM
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

We've run into a design challenge for implementing an embedded map product into an existing webpage.  Originally, I had a webmap viewer with search configured on each of the layers/services loaded in it.  Since then we had migrated to instead use the Minimialist WAB template because of the way the webmap viewer requires url parameters to perform searches onLoad of the embedded map.

Now we are faced with the problem of configuring multiple search layers on the Minimalist template.  That is, using the WAB builder online, I can only configure 1 search layer parameter.

Is there a solution or workaround to configure more search layers?  Is there anything in the JSON of hosted WAB app I can fudge in order to get this to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Decision was to revert back and consolidate into a single webmap viewer with configured search layers.  We're giving up some additional control but benefits of the webmap outweigh having so many AGOL items to manage.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you using Wed App Builder or the Minimalist template? There is no theme for Web App Builder called Minimalist. 

If you are using the minimalist template you can configure multiple search layers under the search tab:

JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yes, I'm describing the Minimalist template for the hosted web Web AppBuilder.

If you are using the minimalist template you can configure multiple search layers under the search tab

Yes, I understand but we're not using that type of search function.  We are embedding this app into another page and performing the search via url parameter when it opens using the "Custom Url Parameters" setup.

My question is, how can I setup multiple search parameters for the different search layers configured on the web map source to this WAB.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is your intent to embed a link in your website that will open the app zoomed in to a specific feature? 

Or do you want the end users to be able to type a value into the search box that could be in any layer and get a result?

Would you mind sharing a little more with me about what your application does and what you are trying to accomplish with the custom URL parameters?

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is your intent to embed a link in your website that will open the app zoomed in to a specific feature? 

Yes but the entire app is embedded into the website, not just a link.  As that page loads, the embedded Web AppBuilder app should zoom to the specific feature onLoad and is the reason why I need to setup a Custom Url Parameter.  This works just fine with a single url parameter search configured! 

My question in the OP is if I can configure an additional url parameter search on a different layer/map service.  I can do this if I embed a regular web map viewer with multiple search layers configured, but the way you must configure the url parameter is strange and prone to break across dev/test/production products (see Kelly's reply in THIS thread)

Or do you want the end users to be able to type a value into the search box that could be in any layer and get a result?

No, the search is performed onLoad of the map using url parameters.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You would use the feature parameter:

Use URL parameters to modify embedded maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

I set up my application with the custom url parameter named parcel to search my application for the parcel identifier:

https://ess.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Minimalist/index.html?appid=743ac5aa269f4cca80df8099e05d81ce&parcel...

But the application also has a layer for fire hydrants so I used the feature parameter to search for the fire hydrant by hydrant identifier:

https://ess.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Minimalist/index.html?appid=743ac5aa269f4cca80df8099e05d81ce&featur... 

Is that what you are looking for or is that what you are saying breaks across environments? 

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Katie,

You are showing two different ways url parameters are setup and defined.  That is exactly the problem!    Your first link shows the clean approach "parcel=<some value", then you show that wonky "&feature=FireHydrants_3792;<search column>;<search value>".

I understand both of these but I need to standardize this url parameter search for the embedded map product.  Because the Minimalist app can only configure ONE custom url search parameter in one format, then switch to using "&feature=" as another format completely defeats the purpose of considering embedding the Minimalist app.  I would rather just have an embedded web map and use a single url search parameter format because the page that this is embedded is setting the values to search on.

Also consider we have dev/test/production embedded products that are managed, so just sticking with embedded web maps rather than an additional wab will reduce items that need to be managed by half.

Is that what you are looking for or is that what you are saying breaks across environments?

Consider this:

• FireHydrants_3792 will be different across dev/test/prod items that will be embedded. FireHydrants_0001, FireHydrants_0002, FireHydrants_0003
  • Multiple search layers will be configured not just FireHydrants_3792.  Layer2_0001, Layer3_0001, Layer4_0001, Layer5_0001

You can see how messy this can get as all of those url parameters and then have non-GIS developers who are embedding this item and dynamically setting parameter search values. 

This is why I hoped to use the minimalist WAB app to simplify because the url parameter is simple: &<layername>=<somevalue>

I'll likely just go back to a web map product instead because it will reduce the number of items that will need to be managed.

0 Kudos
PSGeo1
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

how come you have the layers in the configure search?
I have theses layers in my map and none appear in the configure search "section".

is there any pre configuration that the layers need to have? something like when you publish the "feature service"?

Portal for Arcgis 10.7.1. I publish the service with one layer from arcmap. It is a feature layer. in portal for arcgis i made it a map. and the from this map share it webmap minimalist... and the problem is here.

cheers,

Pedro from the other side of the Atlantic

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Decision was to revert back and consolidate into a single webmap viewer with configured search layers.  We're giving up some additional control but benefits of the webmap outweigh having so many AGOL items to manage.

0 Kudos