Maps and Apps Gallery - favicon

10-12-2016 07:13 AM
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the latest version of the Maps and Apps Gallery.  I changed some of the configurations in the code.  I tried changing the favicon to that of our city logo, but nothing happens.  I added the icon to the themes/images folder, renamed the original favicon and changed the city logo to favicon.ico, deleted cached and refreshed my browser; but it still won't change....has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Chaya,

Is there a way for you to post the code you wrote so others can see it?

0 Kudos
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

Here is a snippet of code:

"values": {
"group": "1a700884b21c4543b4195a9a0e1b97d9",//"03d0b3fe76494125ab404a2b87b40c5c",
"appid": "",
"oauthappid": "",
"applicationName": "Map Gallery",
"applicationIcon": "/themes/images/COT200x100RG.png",//"",
"applicationFavicon": "/themes/images/favicon.ico",
"theme": "#003366",//"#007ac2",
"defaultLayout": "list",

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Chaya Balsiger‌ You should be able to configure a custom favicon for the app by specifying the path to another image in the applicationFavicon parameter.

Is your company's logo file a .ico file? It doesn't need to be - a png or jpg will work as well, but it might have caused some issues if you simply renamed MyCompanyLogo.png to favicon.ico.

Try either using either the URL to an online version of the logo, or place the logo file in the themes/images directory and update the configuration file to point to that image, rather than renaming files and trying to convert file types.

ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

Allison, 

I tried adding the logo as a png and changing the code to reflect that, but that didn't work.  I then tried using the URL to an online version of the logo and that didn't work either.  I downloaded the latest version of the Maps and Apps Gallery and tried it again, but it still doesn't update the favicon.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Hmmm...that is strange. Can you share the URL to your app?

0 Kudos
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

No, because it is an internal app.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

That's ok! I've confirmed that this works for me so we just need to figure out the missing piece in your app. That can be easier if I can see the issue myself, but instead I'll give you a list of things to try

Here are a list of things I check (in order) when I'm trying to configure an app and the configuration doesn't seem to be sticking. Many of these checks are straight-forward and simple, but I've spent many frustrating hours fighting apps over these exact things.

1) Remove all commented-out portions of the values array such as //"#007ac2",. I have seen comments inside the arrays cause all sorts of trouble and the symptoms can vary from browser to browser.

2) Confirm that the URL to the image is correct by pasting it into a browser. The URL should include the file extension .jpg, .png, ico, etc and the image should open in the browser.

3) Confirm that the favicon parameter syntax is correct - URL surrounded by quotes with a comma at the very end of the line. No comments!

4) Confirm that the application is actually using the config file you are editing. You can do this by adding config.js to the URL in your browser. For example, the URL would look like http://myserver.mydomain.com/appfolder/config.js. Confirm that the URL to your image is correct in the favicon property that shows on this page.

Let me know if any/none of these fix it!

-Allison

ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

Allison,

I tried all suggestions but the favicon will still not show up.  I did try it in Internet Explorer and it shows up but not in Chrome....the weird thing is I created a Maps and Apps Gallery last year and the favicon shows up in Chrome and IE

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

I can reproduce what you are seeing in Chrome as well, but not FireFox or IE. I think you found a bug!

I'll log this as an issue to address in a future release in the app's github repo. If you'd like, you can call Support to log an official bug report that you track through your Customer Care Portal. If you do call support, please share this thread with the analyst. It will help them to see what troubleshooting has already been performed and they reach me directly if needed

EDIT: No point reporting this one to Esri  Support: it appears that it is actually a bug with Chrome. I'll play around with this and see if there is a way around this for this app

51270 - No favicon when viewing local pages - chromium - Monorail 

-Allison