Map with web layers shared with different groups

Jump to solution
05-01-2015 12:18 PM
NealJander2
New Contributor II

I want to create a map that is accessible to my entire organization but the map would show different layers to the viewer depending on what groups they are a part of in AGOL.  Right now I have a map that is shared with the entire organization and contains some feature services that are only shared with a selected group within our organization.  The problem is that when I share this map out, people who are not a part of the selected group see an empty basemap with nothing.  I want them to be able to see the public layers but not the private ones.

How could I go about doing this? 

Here is a picture of what I would like to see:

AGOL map with secure layers.jpg

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I think the only way to achieve this is to create more than one web map, and share them with different groups. The webmaps can still reference some of the same services. I'm curious as to why you'd like it to be one single webmap.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TobiasFimpel1
Occasional Contributor III

I think the only way to achieve this is to create more than one web map, and share them with different groups. The webmaps can still reference some of the same services. I'm curious as to why you'd like it to be one single webmap.

0 Kudos
NealJander2
New Contributor II

That is a good point Tobias,  We could create more than one web map and share them with different groups.  In my initial idea I thought for simplicity's sake we could maybe get away with one map.  It would be slick though to have one map for instance that is accessible to both internally and to the public that would display different layers based on what groups the user is a part of.

It is easy to create multiple maps though so I can see how that would also be an option.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
NealJander2
New Contributor II

I have since found that this functionality is available using Geocortex Essentials from Latitude Geographics.  I am still figuring out the details of how to implement this out to our various use cases.

0 Kudos