Make my web app public shared data can be downloaded/exported by public without arcgis online account ?

04-07-2022 06:28 AM
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Can some one help me with this ? I have some hosted feature layers shared to public in my web map app.  I like public who doesn't have the ArcGIS Online account can download/export my data.  How can I do this ?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Da,

To share your hosted feature layers with the public, go to the hosted feature details page and click on the "Share" button to the right, then choose "Everyone (public)". (see pics below)  Additionally, you may have to do something similar with your web app if you want the public to see it.  Hope this helps!

ABishop_0-1649340631374.png

ABishop_1-1649340667736.png

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Amanda,  Thanks.  Yes, now the layers are all shared pubic.  But how public can download/export the data to their local computer ?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Da,

There are couple of options you can go with here.  If you want to provide them with a platform for downloading open data, you can (or the admin of your AGOL org) can configure a Hub site.  Or you can create a gallery in AGOL and then embed it in your organization's website.  Those are the more elaborate ways, but simply opening your web app (if you have a layer list visible) and clicking on the layer and then "view details", then from the details page they can download the data.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thanks.  The following is the way that I am looking for.  However, the download/export option in the "item detail" is not there for public who doesn't have ArcGIS Online account.

"simply opening your web app (if you have a layer list visible) and clicking on the layer and then "view details", then from the details page they can download the data."

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Would you mind sharing your web app with me?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks.  First you must go to the settings of your hosted feature layer and make it downloadable by the user by going to the settings, Export Data section, and check box the "Allow others to export to different formats" option.  Then save.

ABishop_3-1649343499118.png

Then for downloading by the user, not sure which layers you wish for the user to download from your web app, but as an example I chose one to show you. (See pics and instructions below).  If this is how you plan to share the data, you may consider adding an "information" widget to provide instructions on how to download the data.

1. In the layer list the right, click on the ellipse (...) button to the right of the data you wish to view details and download.  Then choose the "Show item details" option.  

ABishop_0-1649343180841.png

ABishop_1-1649343216535.png

2. Once the item details page appears, if you have shared the data as downloadable, you can then choose the download data button.

ABishop_2-1649343412421.png

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Da-WeiLiou
New Contributor III

Thanks.  It looks like you have login in the AcrGIS Online account so you have the option to export data.  Please see the following image, if I logout the ArcGIS Online account (no sign in), there is no export data option.  Is there a way to let public who doesn't have ArcGIS Online account can still download/export the data ?  Thanks.

New-1.JPG

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you check the hosted feature layer settings to allow others to export in different formats?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos