mailto in an ArcGIS Online map Pop-Up -- success and failure

Jump to solution
03-13-2012 10:09 AM
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
I have an e-mail address field that I would like to use as a mailto link in a pop-up with a custom configured attribute display.  The address field is complete in that it is in the form name@domain but when creating a mailto in the manually configured pop-up it yields an error message ("The value entered is not valid") because it expects me to include the @domain in the form entry. 

To be more specific, if I enter something like mailto:{E_MAIL}@esri.com?subject=Test  it works just fine.  The mailto shows up as a link in the pop-up and clicking on it opens my default mail app with the address and subject fields filled in.  But if enter what I prefer, mailto:{E_MAIL}?subject=Test, then I get the error message and I cannot set the attribute.  This feels like an oversight or a bug.  I think I should be able to create this field any way I like to suit my e-mail field format.

Can this be fixed so that a manually configured mailto attribute does not require the @domain to be explicitly entered?  OR, is there some other way within the existing pop-up structure to do what I want?

Thanks,
Marc
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It took me a minute to figure out how you are actually doing this...So it seems you are using the Custom Attribute Display option and using the "Link" button to create a link that does a mailto, right?

I see what you mean, the input field for the URL on the Link dialog seems to gray out the OK button until you type in, for example, @esri.com. So you can't do a complete field substitution. I tried a few other approaches, where I did {Email}@{Domain}.com, but it seems like the curly braces cause problems too.  Unfortunately, this control is part of the tool kit we use. We don't have full control over how it validates a URL. So I don't think there's any way to make this work.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Bumping this to see if Mike M has any word on it.  Mike -- any thoughts on this?  Is someone looking into it?  Is it too trivial?

Thanks,
Marc
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It took me a minute to figure out how you are actually doing this...So it seems you are using the Custom Attribute Display option and using the "Link" button to create a link that does a mailto, right?

I see what you mean, the input field for the URL on the Link dialog seems to gray out the OK button until you type in, for example, @esri.com. So you can't do a complete field substitution. I tried a few other approaches, where I did {Email}@{Domain}.com, but it seems like the curly braces cause problems too.  Unfortunately, this control is part of the tool kit we use. We don't have full control over how it validates a URL. So I don't think there's any way to make this work.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
KathrynCliftonGIS
New Contributor III

Hi Mike.  I am running into a similar situation.  I realize it's now almost 5 years later...

As I was writing this I thought of  a few other things that I had not tried...and I stumbled upon something that worked!  So, here is the solution:

<a href="mailto:?subject=Davidson%20County%20GIS%20Link&amp;body=http%3A%2F%2Fdavidsonco.maps.arcgis.com%2Fapps%2Fwebappviewer%2Findex.html%3Fid%3D2cdd448c6c924b8bbafb5aef8692b8d5%26query%3DArcMap_IMS_620_8%2CPARCEL_ID%2C{PARCEL_ID}" target="_blank">Mailable Link - New Map</a>

The unique id of the map service (from the json) is ArcMap_IMS_620.  The unique id of the Parcels layer is 8.  And the field name that I am querying is PARCEL_ID.

Hope this helps other people.

Kathryn Clifton, GISP

Kathryn Clifton, GISP, PLS
0 Kudos
MarcWeinshenker1
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

Yes, that's what I was doing.  Thanks for looking into it.  Kind of a shame it won't work.

Marc
0 Kudos