Select to view content in your preferred language

Linking layers in ArcMap and ArcGIS Online

11-21-2022 08:59 PM
BrieeC
by
New Contributor II

Hi, 

I was wondering if there was a way to link layers in ArcMap and ArcGIS Online. I have a specific layer that I edit and update with new data on ArcMap and that layer gets uploaded onto several maps on ArcGIS Online. To save time going through each map and uploading it. Is there a way I can have that layer linked across the desktop and online platform, so that when data is updated on ArcMap, it automatically gets updated on ArcGIS Online? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

If you are in ArcMap, click on File > and there is a Sign In option - this will give you the ability to sign into ArcGIS Online and publish layers to your account

• Publishing to ArcGIS Online to ArcMap is similar to publishing a map service - you just need to make sure to pick your ArcGIS Online account as an option and not a Server if you have an ArcGIS Server

One note of caution - I used to do this a lot and I noticed that in ArcMap, the connection gets really unstable if you are doing a lot of edits! In my experience I had to republish a lot, or do a lot of refreshes, and even then the updates wouldn't show up. So I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you are okay with republishing the map frequently! I also found that ArcMap constantly dropped my account and I had to repeatedly sign back in to ArcGIS Online all the time.

If you have to do a lot of editing on the map and have a license, I would definitely recommend switching to ArcGIS Pro! It handles the updates and connections to ArcGIS Online a lot better, and I didn't experience the same loss of connection to the Online account.

Good luck with your project!

0 Kudos