Labelling features?

10-12-2011 12:59 AM
MartaPlos
New Contributor
Hi everyone
I am quite new in the arcgisonline world, so this might sound a noob question, but...
is it possible to label the features one ads on a map, instead of (or in addition to) using the popups?
Thank you
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No there is no labeling capability at this time. It's a good idea though.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricMcClure
New Contributor
No there is no labeling capability at this time. It's a good idea though.

Thanks,

Mike

A very good idea, will this be developed soon? 

Thanks,

Eric
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
No, there are currently no plans to implement labeling in the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor
You can manually add labels to an ArcGIS web map by drawing them on. You simply type in the text, so it isn't the same as feature labeling you are asking for, and the text doesn't scale with the map (so it remains the same size as you zoom in and out) but it might be a useful alternative. To add text labels to an ArcGIS web map, open your map in ArcGIS Explorer Online, choose Add Features, and you'll see a Text option under Map Notes.
0 Kudos
StephanieCunningham
New Contributor
You can manually add labels to an ArcGIS web map by drawing them on. You simply type in the text, so it isn't the same as feature labeling you are asking for, and the text doesn't scale with the map (so it remains the same size as you zoom in and out) but it might be a useful alternative. To add text labels to an ArcGIS web map, open your map in ArcGIS Explorer Online, choose Add Features, and you'll see a Text option under Map Notes.

Thank you very much for this advice, it is perfect!!
0 Kudos
BretRowlinson
New Contributor II
Would just like to add that I would really like to see a simple labelling functionality added to arcgis online.

I have 3 maps now that would really benefit from it.

Cheers!
0 Kudos
GregHunter
New Contributor
Hi Bret,

Have you seen this work around:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2011/11/21/adding-labels-to-arcgis-online-web-maps-part-1/

It is limited with respect to the scale the text/polygons are useful for, but if you use scale visibility and multiple text layers it might be the best solution for now.

Greg
0 Kudos
HarveySchroyen
New Contributor

Hi Rupert, i don't see where there is a Text option in the Add feature/Map Notes .. I only get points, lines and areas. Have they done away with Text additions?
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II
You can add labels.  When you publish the map service to your server make sure you have labels turned on. I use mapplex and all my labels and settings for the labels transfer over to AGOL.
0 Kudos