Identify points that are greater than xKm away from other points

Jump to solution
04-06-2022 07:46 AM
MuneebAfzal
New Contributor II

I am hoping you can help me.

I have a list of locations (let's call them shops)  that are spread across the UK. I would like to be able to identify the shops that are more than 1km away from another shop in the dataset.

I can't figure out how to extract these shops into a new layer. Tried looking at existing posts too and couldn't find one with this problem. Apologies if there is already a post.

Cheers,

Muneeb

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

Hi @MuneebAfzal,

Here's what I would suggest doing:
1. Add your "Shops" layer to the map twice. You can do this by opening the 'Add Layer' menu twice and selecting the same layer each time.
2. Open Analysis > Summarize Data > Summarize Nearby

3. Use "Shops" as both the layer from which distances will be measured, and the layer to summarize, and use a Line distance of 1km. 
4. If you want the output as point features, uncheck the 'Return bounding areas' checkbox. If not all your data is currently visible on the map, make sure you uncheck 'Use current map extent' to ensure all shop features are included in the analysis.
5. Run the tool. The output will include a 'Count of Points' field that will determine how many shops are within 1km of each shop.
6. Since we're summarizing the same features near themselves, every shop will always have at least one shop within 1km - that's itself. To find shops that are more than 1km away from other shops, you'll want to filter the results to exclude any features with a value of more than 1 for 'Count of Points'. To do this, add a Filter where 'Count of Points is at most 1'. 

AmandaRing_0-1649851820455.png

7. Depending on what you want to do with the results, there are several follow-up step options:
A) To create a distinct but related layer based on the filter, create a hosted feature layer view with that filter applied
B) If you wanted to download the layer, you could use the Extract Data tool (Analysis > Manage Data > Extract Data) to package the layer into a CSV, KML, Shapefile, or File Geodatabase.
C) If you wanted a permanent hosted feature layer, you could run the Find Existing Locations tool (Analysis > Find Locations > Find Existing Locations) as @Katie_Clark suggested, with the same filter expression applied to the layer.

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you able to do any analysis in ArcGIS Pro? The way I'd go about this is to create 1km buffers around the points, then select any points that don't intersect with the buffer layer. You can then export those selected features into a new layer.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
MuneebAfzal
New Contributor II

Let's say I have 100 stores that fall into the category of 'being >1km away from another store'. So these would not intersect with the buffer layer. Is it possible to extract these stores into a new layer of their own?

The end result I want is to be able visualise and to extract a list of points that fit the criteria of 'being >1km away from another store'.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you trying to do this completely within ArcGIS Online? Or are you able to use ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MuneebAfzal
New Contributor II

All within ArcGIS Online. I don't have the desktop version available at work.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, I've honestly never used this tool because I use Pro for this type of work, but there is an Extract Data widget that you can probably use? 

Katherine_Clark_0-1649259313582.png

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MuneebAfzal
New Contributor II

I will give this a try today. In my mind I am thinking:
1. Create 1km Buffers around each point (dissolved)
2. Try the Extract Data on this newly created Buffer layer to see if possible to extract the list of points that do not intersect with any other buffers. (now that I type it out I am not sure how but I will give it a go).

Thank you Katherine for your help so far.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I think what you want to do after you create the buffers is use the "Find Existing Locations" tool 

Katherine_Clark_0-1649338658106.png

From there you can check for features that don't intersect the buffer layer

Katherine_Clark_1-1649338722746.png

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

Hi @MuneebAfzal,

Here's what I would suggest doing:
1. Add your "Shops" layer to the map twice. You can do this by opening the 'Add Layer' menu twice and selecting the same layer each time.
2. Open Analysis > Summarize Data > Summarize Nearby

3. Use "Shops" as both the layer from which distances will be measured, and the layer to summarize, and use a Line distance of 1km. 
4. If you want the output as point features, uncheck the 'Return bounding areas' checkbox. If not all your data is currently visible on the map, make sure you uncheck 'Use current map extent' to ensure all shop features are included in the analysis.
5. Run the tool. The output will include a 'Count of Points' field that will determine how many shops are within 1km of each shop.
6. Since we're summarizing the same features near themselves, every shop will always have at least one shop within 1km - that's itself. To find shops that are more than 1km away from other shops, you'll want to filter the results to exclude any features with a value of more than 1 for 'Count of Points'. To do this, add a Filter where 'Count of Points is at most 1'. 

AmandaRing_0-1649851820455.png

7. Depending on what you want to do with the results, there are several follow-up step options:
A) To create a distinct but related layer based on the filter, create a hosted feature layer view with that filter applied
B) If you wanted to download the layer, you could use the Extract Data tool (Analysis > Manage Data > Extract Data) to package the layer into a CSV, KML, Shapefile, or File Geodatabase.
C) If you wanted a permanent hosted feature layer, you could run the Find Existing Locations tool (Analysis > Find Locations > Find Existing Locations) as @Katie_Clark suggested, with the same filter expression applied to the layer.

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis
0 Kudos
MuneebAfzal
New Contributor II

I wonder if I can suggest this as a new feature / option in the Analysis menu. I think it could be really handy.

0 Kudos