I want to create a portal where users in my organization (who aren't GIS experts) can go to build their own maps. What's the best way to do this?

12-28-2022 03:47 PM
Labels (2)
EH_Alaska
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone!

My organization posts a ton of amazing layers in AGOL, all from different employees. As a GIS-oriented person, this is great. But I've identified a few problems:

• Non-GIS people don't know about these layers; and/or
  • Non-GIS people have no idea how to use AGOL and are too intimidated/busy to learn

I want to create some kind of app where they can access all the layers as simple buttons that can be turned on/off, and the final map they create can be printed (like you can through a widget).

I know you can show layers that can be turned on/off or do an interactive legend, but I feel that may still be too complicated for the type of people that would be using this app. I'd prefer to have a sidebar with all the layers split out by type. Ex: There would be a title for a section that says "ROADS" and then some large buttons underneath with labels such as Mileposts, Signs, Lanes, etc. Then there would be another section called "BRIDGES" with buttons like "Bridge Locations", "Structure Ratings", etc.

Is this possible? Do you have any ideas of a way to go about this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ZoeBroek
Occasional Contributor

You can try to group layers in the new map viewer and name the groups like your sections to then use a sidebar instant app, but that might be to advanced.

If you know how to work the Experience Builder you can try to create something more fitting for your audience. preconfigure maps and use the widgets available in the experience builder.

0 Kudos