I Get "Unable To Add Layer" Msg and Never Know Why

Jump to solution
04-05-2022 07:45 AM
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

I was away from AGOL for a few days and when I came back what was working fine (updates to some tracking which is still updating in my ArcGIS Pro project) now gives me this msg:

Unable to add layer [hosted feature layer name]
Unable to establish a secure HTTPS connection to the layer. The layer, [hosted feature layer name], cannot be added to the map.

I've seen this before but I'm never really sure how it gets resolved or why it happens in the first place.

Should I go into ArcGIS Pro and re-share. And if I do re-share do I then have to go and update all the dashboards that use the layer? Or is there another solution?

Thanks,

GR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Here is a link to instruct you on how to overwrite the exiting feature layer.  Not sure if you publish a new one if the applications who are using that feature layer will be able to access it without you repointing to the new one because a new ID will be assigned.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm 

Amanda Bishop, GISP

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you the owner of the hosted feature layer?  If so, I would check it to make sure its available.  If not, maybe restart it and if that doesn't work, I would try republishing it to ArcGIS Online.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Amanda. I noticed a python script that updated the service definition and the map seemingly hadn't run. When I ran it by hand my feature layer (hosted) was updated which is great. And since the .bat file that submits the python script to run four times a day also is working I'm happy, I just don't know why. 

But the weird part is I still can't view the Feature Layer (hosted) with MapViewer as I get the original error  message yet my dashboards are clearly able to use the layers within it. Ugh, I just don't get it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

You're welcome.  Maybe try republishing the service?  Or deleting and republishing with different name?  Also, clear your browser cache then try it in different browsers (chrome, ie., iOS mobile safari, etc.)

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
GRmapper
Occasional Contributor

Amanda, Thank you and you exposed my two areas of inadequate knowledge. While not to tread into another thread perhaps I can ask these final questions.

1) How do I "republish the service?"  I may have actually done that when I ran the .bat file / python script.?

2) If I republish, won't I need to reset/reformat the features in it (symbols, fonts, etc) even if I use the same name when the dashboard uses it?

3)  I don't think I can use an existing name with overwrite can I? Won't it have to be a new name?

Thanks again and while I hope you might comment on the above I won't bother you any more on this. You have been really helpful!

GR

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Here is a link to instruct you on how to overwrite the exiting feature layer.  Not sure if you publish a new one if the applications who are using that feature layer will be able to access it without you repointing to the new one because a new ID will be assigned.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/manage-hosted-feature-layers.htm 

Amanda Bishop, GISP