How to use rich text in dashboard headers

Jump to solution
04-02-2020 04:10 AM
RobertBuckley1
Occasional Contributor

How do I use rich text elements or HTML formatting in a dashboard header? I can't find any possibilities. Even changing the size of a logo or entering whitespace doesn´t seem to be supported. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Robert Buckley, as far as I know, there isn't a way to customize the header in the way you're specifying. Dashboards allow for some customization using HTML, but that option doesn't seem to be available for every dashboard element. 

I feel that having additional customization capabilities within Dashboards would be a huge improvement (both through rich text editors within the WYSIWYG or something similar to Web AppBuilder Developer Edition). You can check out the ArcGIS Ideas page to support this and other enhancements you'd like to see in the platform.

I did find this idea. Kevin MacLeod commented about "Dashboard for Portal", which I don't have experience with. Maybe it allows this kind of customization?

Operations Dashboard Developer Edition  

Derek Law‌ (Dashboard guru), any insight?  

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Robert Buckley, as far as I know, there isn't a way to customize the header in the way you're specifying. Dashboards allow for some customization using HTML, but that option doesn't seem to be available for every dashboard element. 

I feel that having additional customization capabilities within Dashboards would be a huge improvement (both through rich text editors within the WYSIWYG or something similar to Web AppBuilder Developer Edition). You can check out the ArcGIS Ideas page to support this and other enhancements you'd like to see in the platform.

I did find this idea. Kevin MacLeod commented about "Dashboard for Portal", which I don't have experience with. Maybe it allows this kind of customization?

Operations Dashboard Developer Edition  

Derek Law‌ (Dashboard guru), any insight?  

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Katherine Clark When you download it on premise you can customize and override HTML with CSS.  You can use selector specificity or if needed (sparingly) the !important tag to make your customizations override the defaults. What I would do, is to open the developer tool in your browser by pressing F12 and look at the classes that are used and then target them in your own style sheet.

I would suggest as an Enhancement adding ability to inject custom CSS to the Dashboard. Similar to Hub. Where it has the 'Custom CSS' section. Or perhaps let us edit the CSS through the Assistant, for any app (WebApp Builder, Dashboards, Configurable Apps, etc)

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Katherine,

> ... as far as I know, there isn't a way to customize the header in the way you're specifying. Dashboards allow for some customization using HTML, but that option doesn't seem to be available for every dashboard element. 

Correct. *thumbs up*

Hope this helps,