How to sign in to AGOL from ArcMap in order to publish services?

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 04:37 PM
MTBTrails
New Contributor

I created an AGOL account using the Google credentials.  When I try to sign in from an internet browser, I am able to sign in.  I use the Google+ button. 

When I try to sign in through ArcMap, however, this option is not available. 

I want to sign in to my AGOL account from ArcMap in order to publish some of the data that I have as a service in my AGOL account.  Since I am unable to log in, I am unable to publish the data. 

I have tried signing in using my full gmail email address.  Also I have tried changing the password or sending a reminder of the username.  I have verified that the username and password that I am using are correct. 

How do I log into AGOL through ArcMap to publish a service?

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Google+ and Facebook logins are currently supported only for Public accounts. Public accounts do not have the ability to host feature services, so you aren't able to publish layers directly from ArcMap.

Depending on how large your layers are, you may be able to export them as shapefiles, ZIP them up, and add them to your map using the Add > Add layer from file button in the arcgis.com map viewer.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That is interesting. What account are you on now? Have you tried logging into AGOL using the username of "moremountainbiketrails" with your google plus password?

0 Kudos
MTBTrails
New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your response.  I am currently logged into my moremountainbiketrails account.  I registered it with GeoNet as well.  I tried logging into AGOL in the browser with my username and password but that did not work.  I also tried it with @gmail.com but that did not work either.  The only way to log into the browser is through the Google+ button.  If I am already logged into my Google account, then it verifies the username and password without any additional entries.  I tried these same options from the pop-up in ArcMap but they did not work there either.  The pop-up in ArcMap does not include a Google+ option, which is why I do not know how to log in there. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I am not sure since the Google+ and Facebook login thing is fairly new. What version of ArcMap are you running? I wonder if 10.4 would solve this issue. I would consult with Owen Evans​ or someone else on the Esri staff about this.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Google+ and Facebook logins are currently supported only for Public accounts. Public accounts do not have the ability to host feature services, so you aren't able to publish layers directly from ArcMap.

Depending on how large your layers are, you may be able to export them as shapefiles, ZIP them up, and add them to your map using the Add > Add layer from file button in the arcgis.com map viewer.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Owen, thanks for responding. This makes sense.

0 Kudos