Select to view content in your preferred language

How to make Cascade App function like a website with distinct URLs for individual chapters?

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 01:00 PM
JamesPerla
New Contributor

I created a multi-chapter story map on the Cascade StoryMap Application. I've hosted the resource on a unique URL: illusion.woodson.virginia.edu/index.html 

Is there a way to disaggregate each chapter as a unique URL? So: 

illusion.woodson.virginia.edu/chapter1... chapter2.... etc.

I've attempted to do this by duplicating the template, then hosting each index.html file with each discrete AppID. It works, but the URL defaults back to .html for each chapter instead of retaining Chapter1.... 2..... 3... etc.

Has anyone attempted to do this? 

Thanks!

James

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi, that isn't supported in Cascade. You can link to specific sections or tabs/bullets in a Story Map Journal or Story Map Series, or to places in a Story Map Tour, but not in Cascade. Cascade is designed to be a self-contained flowing narrative, so it doesn't support URL parameters to jump to specific sections. You can add bookmarks into the header of a Cascade to enable readers to navigate inside your Cascade, but these aren't hooked up to URL parameters. If you've not already tried the bookmarks functionality, you can find it in the Cascade Builder via Settings. 

Another approach would be to make each chapter into a separate Cascade, This may work well especially if your chapters are quite long. You could then present these in a variety of ways. Some authors are embedding multiple Cascades into Story Map Series so each tab shows a different Cascade. Here's an ingenious example of that used to present a timeline. They use bookmarks in the headers of the Cascades to provide links to specific years:  Landmarks in Indiana Geology – A Timeline

Rupert

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Hi, that isn't supported in Cascade. You can link to specific sections or tabs/bullets in a Story Map Journal or Story Map Series, or to places in a Story Map Tour, but not in Cascade. Cascade is designed to be a self-contained flowing narrative, so it doesn't support URL parameters to jump to specific sections. You can add bookmarks into the header of a Cascade to enable readers to navigate inside your Cascade, but these aren't hooked up to URL parameters. If you've not already tried the bookmarks functionality, you can find it in the Cascade Builder via Settings. 

Another approach would be to make each chapter into a separate Cascade, This may work well especially if your chapters are quite long. You could then present these in a variety of ways. Some authors are embedding multiple Cascades into Story Map Series so each tab shows a different Cascade. Here's an ingenious example of that used to present a timeline. They use bookmarks in the headers of the Cascades to provide links to specific years:  Landmarks in Indiana Geology – A Timeline

Rupert

SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Dovetailing off of Rupert's suggestion, break out each chapter into separate Cascade Story Maps and then make HTML pages for each chapter and place each Story Map chapter onto the pages as embedded iframes.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

Yeah, check out these examples in the Story Maps Gallery of some of the different ways folks are presenting multiple story maps. Some of these are HTML pages, some use ArcGIS Online Gallery apps and some use Story Maps.

Gallery | Story Maps 

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II

In particular, this example by the folks at University of New Brunswick Libraries is a Cascade in which they link out to multiple Map Journals. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=9a763a9190f7498591b75bf2a8344cb9 

And this Cascade contains a custom web control hosted on a separate server to present a clickable map graphic that lets readers launch the other chapters/parts of the story: River of Resilience: Introduction . There's a separate Geonet thread about how that was implemented.

Rupert

0 Kudos
HenrietteMühlmann
New Contributor

Hi Everybody, 

i have a question close to James' and wonder, if someone can help me: 

I want to link seperatly to sections or chapters in my story map, because I want to install QR-Codes tables on buildings that present the corresponding information in my story map about the place.

In the cascade template there is a bookmark option, but the tabs do not show up in the link adress. Same applies to all solutions that were posted in this chat.

Does anybody know, how I get the section links in the browser adress? I even found one example that does, look here: https://www.loc.gov/ghe/cascade/index.html?appid=580edae150234258a49a3eeb58d9121c&bookmark=Xylograph...

I use the cascade template for now, but if anyone can recommend a better suited solution I'd really appreciate any help. 

Many thanks for your replies

Henriette

0 Kudos
HenrietteMühlmann
New Contributor

Hi Everybody, 

i have a question close to James' and wonder, if someone can help me: 

I want to link seperatly to sections or chapters in my story map, because I want to install QR-Codes tables on buildings that present the corresponding information in my story map about the place.

In the cascade template there is a bookmark option, but the tabs do not show up in the link adress. Same applies to all solutions that were posted in this chat.

Does anybody know, how I get the section links in the browser adress? I even found one example that does, look here: https://www.loc.gov/ghe/cascade/index.html?appid=580edae150234258a49a3eeb58d9121c&bookmark=Xylograph...

I use the cascade template for now, but if anyone can recommend a better suited solution I'd really appreciate any help. 

Many thanks for your replies

Henriette

0 Kudos