How to link ArcGIS Web App to our API / SQL Database?

Jump to solution
02-14-2020 12:53 PM
RyanJames2
New Contributor II

We were hoping to use the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS as a portal to allow our users to view the sites for our data, allow our users to select the sites they want, then query either our API / SQL database to retrieve all information we have concerning their site selection.

However, none of us have the expertise working with ESRI to know how to accomplish this.  Is this something that ESRI can accomplish?  Can anyone point me in the right direction on how I could accomplish this / relevant guides and tools that could help me do this?

We considered uploading our data as static files on the map, but the data is too large.  An approach that queries our systems seemed the best approach.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ryan,

A client based application like WAB using the JS API does not have any ability to query a database without a web service (like the rest based service from ArcGIS server). You can have a consulting company or a .Net developer in your organization create you are RESTfull web service in .Net that connects to your database. I do this for my county when accessing our CAMA (computer Aided Mapping and Assessment) data from WAB. The short answer is what unless your data is part of ArcGIS server or you have a developer create you a web service there is no simple way to give access to a database from WAB.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ryan,

A client based application like WAB using the JS API does not have any ability to query a database without a web service (like the rest based service from ArcGIS server). You can have a consulting company or a .Net developer in your organization create you are RESTfull web service in .Net that connects to your database. I do this for my county when accessing our CAMA (computer Aided Mapping and Assessment) data from WAB. The short answer is what unless your data is part of ArcGIS server or you have a developer create you a web service there is no simple way to give access to a database from WAB.

RyanJames2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert

Thanks for the insight.  That does help paint a better picture for us on how we could approach this.

0 Kudos
AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

Here is a great resource on interacting with a database using a Web API:

Building a Web API with Express and PostgreSQL to Consume from Browser - YouTube 

0 Kudos