How to copy some attributes from one layer to another layer

03-23-2022 04:15 PM
CorryneVincent
New Contributor III

Hello!

Let’s say I have a first layer (#1) with fields named A, B and C that are all filled with values. And then I have a second layer (#2) with the three same fields + 2 others named A, B, C, D and E that are all unfilled. 
When I create a new feature on my #2 layer, how do I automate fields A,B and C to have the same values than my #1 layer? On map viewer and field maps.

Hope it’s clear enough so you can help me! Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Reinaldo_Cartagena
New Contributor III

1. Add Join (Data Management)  - Between the Feature class or Table A and B

Joins a layer to another layer or table based on a common field. Feature layers, table views, and raster layers with a raster attribute table are supported.

The records in the Join Table parameter are matched to the records in the Input Table parameter. A match is made when the input join field and join table field values are equal. This join is temporary. See in following link:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/add-join.htm 

See the following image:

Reinaldo_Cartagena_0-1648080914535.png

2. Calculate Field (Data Management) - Find object A and copy attributes from B to A

Calculates the values of a field for a feature class, feature layer, or raster. See in following link:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/calculate-field.htm

See the following image:

Reinaldo_Cartagena_1-1648081100234.png

Reinaldo.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In Field Maps, you can have an Arcade expression to automatically populate a value based on some other layer, but how are you identifying the "correct" feature from layer 1 to bring into layer 2? Should it just grab attributes from the first feature it happens to intersect with? Or are there other shared attributes involved?

I'm afraid this sort of thing wouldn't work in the Map Viewer, but could work in a field calculation done outside of a map, just not at the same time as the feature being created.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
CorryneVincent
New Contributor III

Exactly, it should grab attributes from the first feature it heppens to intersect with as I would use the capture tool to create the new point on layer 2.

0 Kudos