How to convert polygon shapefile to csv for simpler online mapping?

Jump to solution
12-03-2015 11:28 AM
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I am trying to create an online map showing points within a boundary polygon. The points are displayed as a heat map, and the polygon boundary file sits on top of the heatmap, but I want it to be underneath. I've been told that converting the polygon shapefile to a CSV will resolve the issue, so I've been trying to use the Quick Export tool but it keeps telling me it threw an exception (which probably means I don't know what I'm doing) but I can't seem to find any way to convert it properly.

By pulling up the attribute table, exporting it, loading it in excel, and saving it as a csv, it looks like it works, but there are not coordinates to load in my online map.

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

I think I found the answer:

"Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap and feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps and tileset layers (map, imagery, and tiles). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap."

Organize layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

Can you clarify a little more on what you are trying to accomplish?  Do you simply want to take your shapefiles and display them in ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

My end goal is to have a large polygon boundary layer underneath a point heatmap on arcgis online. I have uploaded the boundary shapefile to arcgis online, but it draws on top of my heat map made from points. I'm told that converting the polygon shapefile to csv will allow me to draw it under the heat map.

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Are you unable to simply move the polygon layer to the bottom of the list in the Contents section?  You can re-order a layer by hover to the left of the layer name in the Contents until you mouse pointer changes to a four directional arrow...just hold your left mouse button down and drag the layer down in the list.

reorder_layer.jpg

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I can move it, but it doesn't change the drawing order. I've listed it at the top and the bottom and it was the same.

I'm told it's because my point files is a csv and my polygon layer is a shapefile, and it is set up to draw the csv first regardless of order

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

I just got the idea that maybe if I loaded my point files as a shapefile instead of as a csv I would be able to change the drawing order. So the files I have is a polygon shapefile and a point heatmap.

The polygon is still on top of the heatmap, but if I display the points as location only points, they sit on top of the polygon.

I'm baffled

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

I was able to replicate the issue...not sure if it is a bug or simply limited capability with how the heat map is actually being rendered.  You could run the Calculate Density analysis tool as a work around although the result will likely look different than the heat map but you will be able to reorder the layers.  You may also consider making you polygon layer just an outline, that would allow the heat map to be visible.

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

I think I found the answer:

"Layers are always displayed on top of a basemap and feature layers are always displayed on top of heat maps and tileset layers (map, imagery, and tiles). Depending on the type of layers you have in your map, you may not be able to move them all up or down. For example, if you have one map layer and three feature layers, you can reorder the feature layers, but you cannot move the map layer on top of them. You cannot reorder a KML layer or a basemap."

Organize layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
RyanHowell1
New Contributor III

Bummer...

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos