How to change username?

Jump to solution
04-13-2018 01:29 PM
MelissaMitchell
New Contributor III

Hello,

I need to change my username. My organization changed their name. All the data and content is under my account. If I give another user in the organization administrative privileges (right now I'm the only admin) then moved all the ownership of the data and content to that profile, can I then delete or get rid of my account? Or would I not be able to even create an account because my email address is associated with this one? The documentation says that I can't change my username, is there a way around it?

thank you, 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Melissa,

You can create a new username with the same email address if you want to change out usernames. Usernames are  unique within the system so changing them is not possible. If you have an extra user in your organization, you can do this now, and will have another user available after the original account is deleted. If you have used all of the available users in your organization, call customers service and they can help you with a temporary user for the change process.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Melissa,

You can create a new username with the same email address if you want to change out usernames. Usernames are  unique within the system so changing them is not possible. If you have an extra user in your organization, you can do this now, and will have another user available after the original account is deleted. If you have used all of the available users in your organization, call customers service and they can help you with a temporary user for the change process.

-Kelly

ZacharyOrdo__GISP
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Would you be able to submit an enhancement to address this topic?  I ran across this issue today when our IT department did a name change for someone who just got married.  I would think I would be able to simply change their name, e-mail, and username based on the updated Enterprise Account credentials, or even just clone the user and delete the old one in one action.  Instead, I had to create the new user, verify all of their groups, permissions, etc, move over their content, and delete the old user.  Pretty cumbersome, especially if this happens multiple times a month.

Thanks,

- Zach

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Zachary,

Please vote for the enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site,

https://community.esri.com/ideas/14197 

Hope this helps,

HeatherBuchanan
New Contributor II

Agreed.  Also pretty cumbersome when, in our case, your client uses SAML logins and the parent organization is migrating to a different Active Directory tenant starting today.  We now have to perform this very cumbersome process with over 200 users and we do not have information on who is being migrated on which day.  So essentially we will have to wait until they can't get into their Portal and send us an email, update their guest user account in OUR Active Directory, wait for them to login with the "new" credentials, migrate content, and delete "old" account.  This is going to be a mess.

JeffPace1
New Contributor III

Can i ask how you ended up surviving this?

0 Kudos
LyonMNGIS
Occasional Contributor II

Kelly,

So what happens if we do not have an extra user in our organization?  Are we out of luck?  Can ESRI provide a temporary account so we can make a change?

0 Kudos