How often is the OpenStreetMap basemap updated?

Jump to solution
11-21-2017 08:32 AM
KyleConboy
New Contributor II

How often does ArcGIS Online update the Openstreetmap basemap?  If I make edits in Openstreetmap and push those local edits back up to openstreetmap using the ArcMap editor, how long does it take to show up in the ArcGIS Online openstreetmap basemap?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanMellor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kyle 

I'm new to it myself, but as far as I can tell, Open Street Map data is not hosted by ArcGIS Online. 

This web map is pulling tiles in real time from openstreetmap.org

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b834a68d7a484c5fb473d4ba90d35e71 

So your changes would appear here as soon as they appear on openstreetmap.org. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
NathanMellor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kyle 

I'm new to it myself, but as far as I can tell, Open Street Map data is not hosted by ArcGIS Online. 

This web map is pulling tiles in real time from openstreetmap.org

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b834a68d7a484c5fb473d4ba90d35e71 

So your changes would appear here as soon as they appear on openstreetmap.org. 

KyleConboy
New Contributor II

Nathan,

Thanks for the response.  I saw the link you referenced and I guess what threw me off is the last modified date of November 4, 2016 listed on that page?  I've watched a couple of OSM videos and I think they mentioned they update the tiling weekly?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The November, 2016 "Last modified" is when the "Web Map" was last updated in AGOL, not when the underlying service was last updated.  When looking at modification dates of items in AGOL, it is important to pay attention to the item type, in this case a web map.

Now that I am thinking about it, I am wondering what constitutes a modification for a hosted feature layer. If the data is changed, is that a modification or does the schema of the hosted feature layer need to be changed to have the modification date change.