How much data does streaming from ESRI take?

05-31-2016 09:34 AM
ToryElmore
New Contributor II

I work for a conservation organization with offices in fairly remote areas. We are looking to set up satellite internet to enable occasional GIS work (up to 10 hrs/wk) at one of these locations, but unsure which type of data plan to purchase: 12, 18, or 30 GB.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I'm assuming you are meaning the data usage from your satellite internet provider, and not "credits used" per ArcGIS Online http://www.arcgis.com/features/plans/credits.html 

re: data usage, I'm sure that will depend on what you are downloading, if it is being cached locally the first time it is accessed (and then using that on next connection, etc.  Is this data/services you are publishing or providing, or just the AGOL public data?  That is, many variables so it may be difficult to get an answer without more specifics.

Typically the basemaps, etc are cached/tiles so you only will be downloading the data you are viewing, and typically just at the scales appropriate for your view.

There may be other ways to obtain the data you need (ArcGIS data disks for example) if you have the correct licensing.

ToryElmore
New Contributor II

Thank you, Rebecca. I am indeed referring to data usage from a satellite internet provider, not AGO credits.

Generally speaking, the primary user will be downloading basemaps and data from our AGO org account, accessing data from GIS servers, and publishing data to AGOL.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

If this is "your" ArcGIS Server, take advantage of caching any of the static data/services you have and send them a copy of the cashed folder...the speed of access for ArcMap will be much faster than accessing thru services, whether AGS or AGOL.

Can they checkout any of the data for offline use?  Check-in/check-out operations for those things that they are editing....easier done, I think, if you have ArcSDE with versioning, but if they are off your network, access might be limited or have more hoops to go thru.

Keep the data that needs to be pushed back and forth to a minimum, maybe after the first month of getting things setup.  I agree with Joshua, might be best to get extra, or check out what mid-month bump-up costs are, at least until you get the feel for usage.

I think more than the data usage issue, the speed via a satellite connection is going to be the most frustrating thing for you if heavy data isn't local.  We still have offices that are frustrating slow, especially after having reasonable speed at home/office.  So, question is how can you make that tolerable.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree with Rebecca Strauch, GISP​, it has more to do with what type of GIS workflows and data you have rather than ArcGIS Online itself.  Seeing that data from cellular/satellite providers is always cheaper per GB when bought in larger volumes ahead of time, as opposed to smaller overage increments afterwards, aim high for a couple months to establish a baseline and then trim down as necessary.