How do I delete data fields in a map layer?

Jump to solution
01-20-2022 07:32 AM
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

I downloaded the Electric Retail Service Territories map layer from here:

https://hifld-geoplatform.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/electric-retail-service-territories-2/explore...

I uploaded it to my arcgis account so that I could explicitly edit the website links of the power company data to point to power company outage maps.

Here is that result:

https://goxy6tp7jwpmsb3v.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1fc91999b6af4856862478de6fb366ac#data

My only issue, I cannot delete duplicate data fields. How can I delete duplicate fields? Not a whole row, but a single power company field. I do not see any options to delete fields. I only see an option to 'add field'. Is this possible to do?

sr_guy_0-1642692489862.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ok, this makes more sense. Those duplicates are rows (records), not columns. I do not know of a way to eliminate duplicate records in ArcGIS Online automatically. You cannot delete records from an ArcGIS Online table. There are a couple of ways to eliminate your duplicates, one at a time. One is to do it on the map. You need to have editing enabled (from the settings), then on the map, start he editing and click on the feature to delete and select delete. 

Another way, that I haven't tried is through the service URL, according to this post:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/403100

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

In your item details, go to Data (1). Then click on Fields (2). Click the check box (3) next to the field. Then a Delete button (4) will appear.

AdrianWelsh_0-1642697466285.png

0 Kudos
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

@sr_guy if you have rights to edit the layer (ie if you published it to AGOL from the GIS data), then you should be able to delete a field by clicking on the field name and selecting DELETE

eg

David_Brooks_0-1642697567624.png

David
..Maps with no limits..
0 Kudos
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

This is what I am seeing on this end...

1.) First click on Fields

sr_guy_0-1642698135709.png

2.) Clicking on name

sr_guy_1-1642698206447.png

I hid a ton of fields so they do not populate, but i wouldn't think that would cause an issue with deleting single entries in the database. Obviously, I can edit all those fields, and even add new ones, but why a delete field option isn't present perplexes me.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

What does that big red Delete button do if you click on it?

0 Kudos
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

I want to delete individual power company fields in the DB, not the entire Name column.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. In a database, a field is a column and a record is a row. It sounds like you do not want to delete a field. Are you wanting to delete all records that belong to a certain power company? Or can you clarify a little more on what you are wanting to delete? Are there fields that you are not showing that need to be deleted? Are you wanting to edit the field of "NAME" in order to not show the name of the power company but only show the words "no outage"?

0 Kudos
sr_guy
by
New Contributor III

For instance, I have two duplicate columns in this screenshot, I want to delete one of them, same applies to other duplicates:

sr_guy_0-1642702684765.png

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ok, this makes more sense. Those duplicates are rows (records), not columns. I do not know of a way to eliminate duplicate records in ArcGIS Online automatically. You cannot delete records from an ArcGIS Online table. There are a couple of ways to eliminate your duplicates, one at a time. One is to do it on the map. You need to have editing enabled (from the settings), then on the map, start he editing and click on the feature to delete and select delete. 

Another way, that I haven't tried is through the service URL, according to this post:

https://gis.stackexchange.com/a/403100

0 Kudos