How can I directly use a file that I've uploaded to ArcGis Online, like a direct URL to that file?

Jump to solution
07-20-2020 02:13 PM
JoshFields
New Contributor II

I have 2 use cases here:

I upload a .png file to ArcGis Online and I want to use that as a custom symbol.  What is the URL to that file?  I tried going to the file in the portal and using the URL generated by the "download" button, which gave me something like https://ago-item-storage.s3.region.amazonaws.com/abcdefg1234567890/my_custom_file.png?X-Amz-Security...

That worked, but only for a few days, then it no longer existed.  I think that link expires.

So, is there a way to get a permanent URL to these files?

Similar use case, but using a png image in javascript to put on top of the map.  I'm using a similar link to the above, and it also expires after a few days.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

The way I've done it is add the image to ArcGIS Online, share with everyone, and then use this URL at the bottom of the item details page:

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you able to share the image with everyone? That would solve the issue of the token expiring. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
JoshFields
New Contributor II

So just make it public and use the amazon link?  Or is there some special arcgis/esri rest api link that I should use?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

The way I've done it is add the image to ArcGIS Online, share with everyone, and then use this URL at the bottom of the item details page:

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
JoshFields
New Contributor II

Ah!  Thank you so much for that picture.  I was missing that part.  The URL doesn't show at all until after it is shared with everyone.  You have helped me very much!!!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank goodness for the "snipping tool", a picture is definitely worth a thousand words.  

Glad I could help!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos