How can I create a map image layer and NOT create a web map in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
07-22-2016 10:06 AM
JillianElder
New Contributor

When I add the service from my GIS Server, it saves as a web map. I need it to be a web image layer so I can use the service in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JosephSegretto__GISP
New Contributor III

When adding a service from your ArcGIS Server, do it from the My Content window and not from the Map.  In My content, create a folder to organize your content. 

1. Click the Add Item pulldown
  2. Select the option From the web

2016-07-22_13-20-14.png

In the next dialog box, enter the URL of Map Service layer from your ArcGIS Server Rest Services Directory.  If the service is a secure service, the dialog box will change and allow you enter your credentials.  You will also have the opportunity to store the credentials with the item so your ArcGIS Online users will not get prompted for credentials every time the service is accessed.  The option is yours.

2016-07-22_13-24-04.png

Once the item is added.  It will show up as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JosephSegretto__GISP
New Contributor III

When adding a service from your ArcGIS Server, do it from the My Content window and not from the Map.  In My content, create a folder to organize your content. 

1. Click the Add Item pulldown
  2. Select the option From the web

2016-07-22_13-20-14.png

In the next dialog box, enter the URL of Map Service layer from your ArcGIS Server Rest Services Directory.  If the service is a secure service, the dialog box will change and allow you enter your credentials.  You will also have the opportunity to store the credentials with the item so your ArcGIS Online users will not get prompted for credentials every time the service is accessed.  The option is yours.

2016-07-22_13-24-04.png

Once the item is added.  It will show up as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online.

JillianElder
New Contributor

Thank you so much for your response!

When I published the service from ArcMap using the Share As, one of the options is to Share the service to your organization/my content.

PracticeService.JPG

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jillian,

To add to Joseph Segretto, GISP​'s post, you need to add the full map server url when creating a map image item type:

Example:https://sampleserver5.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/MapServer

If you add the layer and specify a layer number,

ex. https://sampleserver5.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/CommercialDamageAssessment/MapServer/0

you will create a feature layer.

Cheers,

Kelly

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

An oldie, but a goody!

Unfortunately, the same thing can't be said if you start out with a secured Feature Service.  Doesn't matter whether you specify a layer number or not, you get a Feature Service output either way.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos