Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosted transportation feature class with highway shield labeling no longer displaying shields?

Jump to solution
06-30-2023 09:52 AM
Labels (2)
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Today I noticed when I added our hosted transportation feature class on AGOL to a web map, that all of our highway shield labels no longer show up.  They had been labeling fine before.  Originally web layers were published from ArcPro 2.9.x, and I have been periodically overwriting/updating the feature server as local data changes for a year or more since.  Now I am using ArcPro 3.1.2.  Shields display normally in Pro and running Analyze prior to publishing does not raise any warnings or errors.  Anyone else noticing anything different with shields?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks! It looks like its behaving as expected from the standpoint on what we support at the API level for labels. Labels right now in Map Viewer only support text which would not support the shields being displayed. The shields would work for point features. I checked out publishing from 2.9 and 3.x build just to make sure if anything was getting applied but from the project the results were the same. The shields could also work for a tile layer or vector tile case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Couple questions

Where are you viewing the web map and seeing the issue? Have you compared between Map Viewer Classic and Map Viewer.

Can you share the web map and layer? 

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Russ,

Here's our web layer:  https://services.arcgis.com/ovln19YRWV44nBqV/arcgis/rest/services/Transportation/FeatureServer

As far as web maps, I have tried to display this in both the new and classic viewer maps but each displays the former shields as text aligned along the road (shield is missing and horizontal label direction is now aligned).  I've also noticed that the standard label repeat/remove distance settings present in ArcPro are not preserved though I can't say whether that was the case or not before.  See screen shots below...the web map just doesn't look very good compared to the same in Pro.  I know I can tweak map label properties to improve on this (and again maybe I'm mis-remembering) but it seems like this was working better in the past when directly published from Pro.  

ArcPro:

RayWeiser1_0-1688161127143.png

------

Web Map:

RayWeiser1_1-1688161293035.png

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Based on looking into this via searches this afternoon, it seems like shield label markers (or any sort of label markers) are NOT supported in AGOL?  I'd swear that they were showing up before though.  It's surprising  (to me!) that if true, I didn't catch this with the typical feature service labeling until now.  ‌‌May need to schedule a memory check!  😯   

Anyway, still curious whether anyone else has used/seen shields or other label markers successfully displayed in published web layers (without resorting to Arcade gymnastics, i.e. just by publishing from ArcPro). 

Note:  We do also have a vector tile cache which retains all labeling including shield markers/callouts (as expected of a VTC).

- Cheers

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you publish with "Use symbols compatible with all clients" unchecked in Pro and view the web map or layer item in Map Viewer or other apps like Instant Apps or Experience Builder do they show up as expected.

RussRoberts_0-1688393742406.png

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Russ,

Yes I've been publishing a couple of test feature services using our roads layer and I've tried both with and without the "Use symbols compatible with all clients" selected.  In either case, the shields are still unavailable.  

The original roads layer in my APRX file was imported from a layer file originally created from ArcMap, so I thought just in case there was/is something about that layer file source that was messing with things, I created a new APRX file, added the data fresh and rebuilt the symbology and labelling (I used the default shields available in the drop-down label context menu).  Then I republished both with and without the "Use symbols compatible with all clients" option checked.  Results were slightly different, including now successfully showing my square County Route shield labels (in New Map Viewer), but no other shields labeled (Interstate, State or U.S. Hwy), and the orientation and label density of the County Routes is messed up (shields no longer horizontal, and they're plastered all over the county route segments).  When opened in Classic Map Viewer, no shields (even County Routes) display.  See screen shots below:

View of rebuilt road layer in Pro:

RayWeiser1_1-1688414511289.png

View of rebuilt road layer in AGOL (New) Map Viewer after re-publishing (looks the same whether I have compatibility checked or not):

RayWeiser1_2-1688414531067.png

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the project with me? You can share it to a group and invite russell_jsapi into it and I can check it out and see if there are any issues.

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Sure thanks Russ...I just sent invite.  I really appreciate your interest and support in this!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks! can you toss in a map package or aprx as well.

0 Kudos
RayWeiser1
Occasional Contributor

Sure, just added a project package (ppkx)