Hosted Tile Layer "resampling" does not work

Jump to solution
11-17-2017 12:23 PM
RyanNosek
Occasional Contributor II

Enabling "Resampling" on Hosted Tile Layers does not work.

If you have been able to successfully enable resampling/max scale properties and your hosted tile layer is also showing below your lowest level of detail that you originally cached in your hosted tile layer - please let me know how you did it!

My hosted tile layer still turns off once I go below my lowest cached scale (LOD 19 or 1:1128). Even with resampling true and max-scale property set to 1:71 (LOD 23), my hosted tile layer turns off at LOD 20. To create my hosted tile service, I followed a really helpful workflow outlined in Jake Skinner 's post. A similar workflow is now described in ArcGIS Server documentation as well.

Also, linking back to an original post where the resampling parameter was discussed by Kelly Gerrow

Side note -

Enabling "resampling" in cached map services (and cached image services too) on ArcGIS Server (10.3 tested) DOES work. However, in order for it to work, I had to also run the "Manage Map Server Cache Scales" tool in ArcGIS Desktop (which you then add your missing lower level scales, e.g. 20-23). Only after this tool is run, does your service have "empty" cache scales/levels of detail in your service, which then allows "resampling" when using your service in an AGO webmap and zooming into something like 1:71 (LOD 23).

Trying to run the ArcGIS Desktop tool "Manage Map Server Cache Scales" against a hosted tile layer does not work. Does a similar "Manage Map Server Cache Scales" tool or function exist for Hosted Tile Layers?  

Is there a way to use the tiles.arcgis.com rest admin interface to add extra levels of detail without caching (creating empty scales) so the service will properly resample?

Any help or experience from the crowd would be great! Thank you

Ryan

tile service‌

hosted layer

resampling‌

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Rowena,

How did you publish your tile service? from a feature service or a tile package?

There is a bug for enabling this functionality from a tile package:

BUG-000105133: Resampling does not work on a hosted tile service pu.. 

-Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RowenaTansley1
New Contributor III

Did you get any further on this?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Rowena,

How did you publish your tile service? from a feature service or a tile package?

There is a bug for enabling this functionality from a tile package:

BUG-000105133: Resampling does not work on a hosted tile service pu.. 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
RowenaTansley1
New Contributor III

Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

The process is publish a map service, and then arcgis server creates the tiles.

I solved this by going through ArcGIS Server Administrator and updating the json of the service with "resampling":true

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

Hi Kelly,

Do you have any news regarding this bug ? It is still described as "new".

I uploaded 2 tile layer services to Agol, for the one in Web Mercator, resampling works well, but for the one in local projection (3163) it mixes tiles above the last level with tiles :

PierreloupDucroix_0-1642488548356.png

0 Kudos
Andy_Siegel
New Contributor II

I've run into this issue....still not resolved?!

PierreloupDucroix

Hello,

after discussing with Esri support and testing various tile service publishing, I concluded that tile resampling only works on services with x2 tile scheme (ie. each scale must double in progression).

It is specified and mandatory for vector tiles layers : https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/configure-vector-tile-layer.htm

When vector tiles are generated, a contiguous mesh of square tiles is created for each level of detail (LOD) defined by the tiling scheme. The scale of the tiling scheme must double in progression. For example, if the scale is 1:2,000 at LOD1, it must be 1:1,000 at LOD2, 1:500 at LOD3, and so on.

But I haven't seen any recommendation for hosted tile layers.

So you have to either use Web Mercator coordinate system, that respects this tile scheme, or create your own custom tile scheme with your local coordinate system.

Regard

0 Kudos