Hosted Feature Service - Item does not exist or is inaccessible...!?!?

01-09-2014 12:25 PM
GunnarOlson1
New Contributor III
I just successfully published a hosted feature service to my AOL organizational account. When I try to view item details I get an error stating that the item does not exist or is inaccessible...!?!? What gives??? ESRI...your killing me!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Did you publish from ArcGIS desktop or ArcGIS.com?Sometimes there are problems publishing.

Are you seeing any error messages?
Do you have a full subscription with enough credits?
If publishing from desktop, what version do you have?
What web browser and version do you have?

I'd suggest trying again. If you still experience issues, perhaps you can share your data with us so that we may try to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
GunnarOlson1
New Contributor III
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I jumped the gun on it. Tried it again the next morning and it worked fine. Should have thought about trying that before I got all frustrated. Lesson learned on my part!

Thanks again
0 Kudos
GaryTe
by
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

Like Gunnar, I have experienced similar issues. I noticed that there are days where I would have to wait a couple of minutes before the feature service is accessible. Will this delay be resolved when publishing/overwriting a feature service in the future? Publishing feature services has improved a lot since the last ArcGIS update, but I'm just hoping that there will be no more inconvenience since there were times where I successfully overwrote an existing service only to find that both the old and new feature service are inaccessible/no longer exist. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Did you publish from ArcGIS desktop or ArcGIS.com?Sometimes there are problems publishing.

Are you seeing any error messages?
Do you have a full subscription with enough credits?
If publishing from desktop, what version do you have?
What web browser and version do you have?

I'd suggest trying again. If you still experience issues, perhaps you can share your data with us so that we may try to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
there are days where I would have to wait a couple of minutes before the feature service is accessible.

Publishing speed depends largely on the size of the data. Once uploaded, the data has to be unpacked, then loaded into the database. This can take time if you have a lot of data.

Our solution with respect to overwriting a feature layer from ArcGIS Desktop is not optimal. Publishing an SD file from desktop with the overwrite option simply deletes the hosted feature layer item and creates a new item (with a new item ID). While the actual REST URL to the feature layer is unchanged, any properties that were saved with the original feature layer are now lost, like popups and layer drawing, because they are stored on the item and not on the REST URL.

So what does this mean to web maps that reference that layer? If you modified layer drawing or set a popup definition and simply saved your web map, those properties are stored in the web map and will be retained because the URL to the feature layer is still valid after overwriting and the drawing and popup definition are in the map.

If alternatively, you saved the drawing and popup info back out to the layer item (so when you add the layer to another web map it retains the properties), these properties are now gone. While the URL to the feature layer is the same, the drawing and popup properties were stored with the item that got deleted when the item was overwritten.

This overwrite behavior is a function of how ArcGIS desktop interacts with ArcGIS Online. Modifying this behavior requires a change on the desktop side, and thus is tied to ArcGIS Desktop releases and not updates to ArcGIS Online. We do have this issue documented internally, however, there is no release data set yet for making a change.

Hope this helps explain things,

Mike
0 Kudos
GaryTe
by
New Contributor II

So what does this mean to web maps that reference that layer? If you modified layer drawing or set a popup definition and simply saved your web map, those properties are stored in the web map and will be retained because the URL to the feature layer is still valid after overwriting and the drawing and popup definition are in the map.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick response and explanation on this matter. I think this is the most important thing for me at this point because going back to each map to redo the symbology and pop up because of an overwrite won't be fun. I hope I am interpreting this correctly.
0 Kudos
MargaretM
New Contributor III

I am a little confused and need some help understanding the overwrite process.  I have a City Road Closure web application based on a web map that has popups and specific symbology.  I want to set this up so one of our engineers (non GIS-type person) can easily update it on a weekly basis. I have written out an SOP for him but I'm getting lost in the overwrite process.  I don't want him to have to redo the symbology and pop ups every week.  When I defined them in my Web Map, was I actually doing the above (in the quote)?  Or am I missing something?

I understand that the overwrite simply deletes and adds a new SD in the same name.  But I'm hoping I can make this easy for the engineering group.

Thanks!
Margaret
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Margaret, Gary,

You should be fine if you just save the web map.

For your edification, the reason someone might choose to save the drawing and popup properties back to the feature layer is so that when it is subsequently added to different web maps, it will have that information already, rather than having to define it for each web map. This workflow currently is best suited to hosted feature layers that are updated through Arcgis Onlne's editing tools, rather than externally.

Mike
0 Kudos
JamesArmstrong1
New Contributor
I am working with the virtual campus course on ArcGIS online.  Simple stuff, i would guess.  using only the course data, I have been able to upload the data from ArcGIS Desktop, but every time it tries to publish I get an internal error message.  I see the folder for the feature class in the 'My Content' but when I click on it I get the message "Item does not exist or is inaccessible."

I have tried to publish the data from within ArcGIS Online with same results.  I have followed the instruction to a T, but nothing seems to work.  I have contacted support, and but waiting for the response is frustrating.  This is ESRI course and data, why will it not work....

James Armstrong
0 Kudos
larrycamp
New Contributor III
So unpredictable and frustrating, #1. 
ArcGIS 10.2.1

I'm getting the error "Item does not exist or is inaccessible" after overwriting an existing working service (I waited sufficient time to check).  The reason for overwriting today was to hide certain fields (turned them off in ArcGIS).  The number of features (1735) was the same.  I did change the parameter to load 2000 features (another source of frustration there).  Could changing the feature layer property in ArcMap be the reason the overwrite failed?  BTW, in ArcMap > Share As > Service, it said it was published successfully.

The reason I like to use overwrite is to use the same name layer name, tags, description etc and not have to fill out that info each time.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]34405[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos