Hosted Feature Layer view can't be updated with new fields

05-02-2022 01:10 PM
HBottelberghe_eci
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I'm working with a view of a hosted feature layer. I added new fields to the hosted feature layer. I made sure the new fields are visible in the table of the hosted feature layer. But when I go to 'Update View' for the view layer from its Settings tab, the new fields are not available in the list of fields available when I click 'Select Fields'. 

Has anyone encountered this problem with adding fields to the view layer definition and can't find them even if they are toggled visible for the source hosted feature layer? Were you able to resolve the problem, if so - how did you resolve the problem

Thanks,
Heather Bottelberghe

14 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

New year, problem is still here. I can't even make a new view on the hosted feature layer to try and remake it.

: (

Update: I deleted the view and tried to make a fresh, new one. Found a solution over here: Solved: Re: "Failed to create layerview for layer title: <... - Esri Community . If you allow "Editors to see all features", switch over to edit your view, and then turn it back to "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" I was finally able to edit a view. I wish you could do the administrative task of setting up a view without making the private information completely public (it's a public facing Survey123 survey).

0 Kudos
ErikHerbergMETC
New Contributor III

Update - I still have this issue from time to time as well after adding a new field. One trick that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, is to add data into that new field in the feature layer, in particular the bottom (or most recently added) row. I've done this by waiting until a new Survey123 entry is submitted or by manually adding an entry in the last row. It seems like once some data gets added, the field then appears as an option to add to the view soon after. Again though, I haven't tested to see if this trick always works or not, but might be worth a shot. 

0 Kudos
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

Darn, that sounded promising, but I tried it, and it didn't work for me...thanks for sharing though!

0 Kudos
RichardRogers1
New Contributor II

I'm just stopping in to show my support for finding a resolution to the problem.

Very similarly, I've decided that I needed an additional field in my S123.  Added it in 123Connect then republished.  Everything went smoothly until I decided I also needed to add that new field to the views.  As is common in AGOL, there are several possible places where a person might think this task could be handled... I tried all that I'm aware of, but was unable to add the field to the views (internal and external facing datasets).  I gave up, created new views, added them to the maps, went through creating the symbology in each map, recreated all the labels in each map, and modified all html popups as I needed them.  This is a lot of trouble to go through just to add a field.

I'm assuming this is a schema level issue that's likely a deeper problem that it seems on the surface.  That being said, it's a problem that needs a solution if I plan to move forward using S123 as a solution for our electronic forms.  Inevitably, forms will need to be edited over time so we must have a way of simply adding a field to a view without rebuilding the layer in each map every time.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
MichaelKohn_PGE
New Contributor II

I am not sure if there's been a solution to this issue yet but I tried something that fixed the issue on a layer I just published to AGOL from ArcGIS Pro then had to add a field to the hosted feature service in the data tab in AGOL. The hosted feature view was not allowing me to set the newly created field as visible in the settings tab in AGOL just like what was described in this thread. Note that the new field I added did NOT allow for null values to be entered. (I don't know if this has something to do with why my work around worked)

My work around was this:

In the hosted feature view, I deleted the newly created field then added the same field but ALLOWED null values to be entered (I figured that I would just make this field required in Field Maps and the Web Map form)

After re-adding the field I went into the settings tab of the hosted feature view to update the view and the field was able to be selected.

0 Kudos