Hi, I cannot connect to ArcGIS Online via ArcCatalog. I get an error message saying `An error has occurred. Check your network connection and try again.` Has anyone come across this problem before and does anyone have a solution?

10-30-2014 03:58 PM
davidtimoney
New Contributor

11 Replies
RobMcFarlane
New Contributor

Hi David

Yes I too have encountered this error message - and I thought it was just me being somewhat ICT incompetent ;-).

Cheers

Rob

0 Kudos
VenusScott
Occasional Contributor III

I know this is old, but did you get a resolution? I now have a user with the same error?

0 Kudos
DavidKimball1
New Contributor III

I'm getting the same error message, in ArcMap 10.3 though. For the sake of people trying to search for the error message, the actual error message, including misspellings, is:

ArcGIS Sign In

An error has occured.   Check you network connection and try again.

DavidKimball1
New Contributor III

I was able to solve this by using the instructions from this thread: https://community.esri.com/message/130466#436122

1. In Internet Explorer, click the Tools toolbar button and choose the menu command Internet Options.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Click the Reset button.

4. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box appears.

5. Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.

6. Click the Close button.

7. Click the OK button and then:

8. Close all open Internet Explorer windows to restart Internet Explorer.

9. Restart the pc

I'm not sure why changing settings in Internet Explorer, which I almost never use, affects ArcMap. I'm also not sure if this fix is permanent - it worked today though. If you do use IE and you've customized your settings, you may lose all your customizations.

EricR
by
New Contributor

I am also having this problem. From Arc Map as well as ArcCatalog.

I am connected to the internet (I'm posting this message right now!)

After digging around I found a connections tab in Catalog that I may need to fill out. I will check with my IT people when they get in. If I resolve it, I will try to remember to post it here.

0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone,

Sometimes this issue can be caused by your trusted sites. ArcGIS Catalog will respect the WinInet Options. I suggest adding the following lines to your trusted sites:

*note: If you can, uncheck the box that states 'Require Server Verification...'

Go to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites and select the 'Sites Button'

Add the following URLS:

http://www.arcgis.com

http://*.arcgis.com

This will correct this issue for some customers. You can use web debugging tools, such as Fiddler, to troubleshoot these kinds of issues as well.

I hope this helps. Thank you very much-

Justin

Esri Support

EricR
by
New Contributor

Ahh, I realized you meant to do this in internet explorer, so I went and entered those settings in Internet Explorer. I relaunched Arc Map and there was no change. The error message still pops up when I click the 'log in' button in the ArcGIS Online window.

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.1.3497

0 Kudos
JustinRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

Hello Eric,

Thank you for the reply. I will need more information to help you out further. Would you be able to take a web traffic capture while reproducing the issue?

Here is a link to a really good Web Debugger:

Fiddler free web debugging proxy

Please ensure you turn on https captures:

How to use Fiddler to capture HTTPS sessions and convert to a VSTS Web Test - Girish's Blog - Are yo...

Here is a small blog from Microsoft on how to use this product:

Fiddler PowerToy - Part 1: HTTP Debugging

Please save the log as a .saz and add them to the post. You can private message me them if you need as well. Thank you-

Thanks,

Justin

Esri Support

RainerFarsch
New Contributor III

Justin,

I'm having a hard time signing in from either ArcMap 10.3.1 or ArcCatalog 10.3.1. I get the following:

I downloaded Fiddler and ran it. Can I send you the .saz file? It would be a great help to me.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos